Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best touring

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Johnnyb, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Hi there, I'm trying to find out what the best long distance motorcycle route would be over Australia. I'm talking 2-3 weeks, remote beaches, camping...a real, off the beaten track trip maybe across the top of Aussie or from Western Australia to Northern Territory?
    Could anyone recommend some well known routes?

Johnny B

2. Brynne Ecclestone ?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. known yes enjoyable not so much me thinks
  4. Mate, Australia is big! Syd to Perth direct is 4000km. Normal touring that is a 5 day ride. Taking a scenic route is longer. How many hours do you intend to ride in a day? Start your planning with those things in mind.
  5. Take a ride from Penrith in to Sydney at peak times, that'll take a good 2 weeks ;)

Seriously though, my brother has done a top end trip from Karratha to NT and QLD, did it in a couple of weeks. He's done quite a few rides from W.A. to the east coast to visit family... one day I'll ride to see him :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. If you really want to challenge yourself, there is the Simpson Desert, but keep in mind, it is not easy. 1500 sand dunes and about 380 km of deep sand riding, and can be hot even in winter. Doesn't sound far, but I have heard of some people, both bikes and 4wd, taking days to do the crossing. Be aware, some of the tracks can be impassable at any time of the year. Plenty of YouTube videos on this route so that you know what you are in for.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. There are plenty of bike tours run up north. They are expensive but they provide support vehicles and all planning is done for you!
  8. I am planning a 10 day ride from Darwin to Perth. It will be a 6,000 kms part of our 12,500 km ride. If that sounds like what you may like, I can tell what we will be doing and seeing.