Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best Small Enduro Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by QIKAZZ, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hey guys, im was wondering if I could get some advice. I havent riden dirt bikes for about 10 years, but I was wanting to get back into it, a few mates have just gotten bikes and I want to go out and have some fun with them, I was wanting to get some advice on what would be a good 2 stroke around 200cc to 250cc Enduro bike, any suggestions would be great. I definatly dont want a race bread bike.

I was thinking maybe a Kawak KDX200 which I beleive is a full Enduro or Yamaha WR200 or DT200 which are more a basic Enduro. I only want to spend around MAX of 4k.

2. Why 2 stroke? For a trail bike you'll more than likely find the wider power delivery of a 4 stroke more useable to you and smoother to ride. 2 stroke is really best left on the MX track. Even then, they're no longer considered necessary.

That said, The KDX and WR are great bikes. The DT has a reputation for being more of a farmer's bike but to tell the truth they are relieable and have enough grunt fo to some fun with. My personal pick for a trail bike would probably be a XR250. Smooth power delivery means less stacks and better turns. Also no radiator means no holes which leaves less room to screw up your day. It's no racing bike, but as a weekend bush basher 250, it's worth having a look at. :)
  3. Well

I definatly wanted to get a 4 stroke, less maintenance, smoother etc, thats what I always used to ride, but my mates got 2 stroke, and they are trying to tell me that a 4 stroke wont keep up to them, and even if I can keep up, they say the 4 stroke is a lot heavier bike and I wont be able throw the bike around as easy, whats your thoughts on that? The XR is what I had my mind on before they starting persuading me to look at 2 stroke.

4. I'd say your mates are living in the dark ages. A modern 4 stroke is just as light and throwable as a 2 stroke. As for keeping up, they have been revolutionised since the 80's, even a lot of motor X bikes are now 4 stokes, and on a trail I'd say the 4 has the advantage. Because you're working from one bend in the track to the next, the better low rev power delivery means you can roll off the trottle before each one and roll back on as you exit, whereas a 2 stoke will require far more use of the brakes and gear changes to get through as quickly, just to keep the revs high enough to keep the bike moving. A 2 stoke won't respond to any less than 9000rpm which is great for the stop and go style of MX, but when you need less dramatic speed variations and more subtle throttle control, the 4 stroke should come out on top.

The best bet would be to ask some dealers for their advice on the best bike for each application. Experts are better than mates for this sort of thing and if possible ride a few bikes before buying to help decide what you like. Ultimately, you'll be forking out the dough so buy the bike you want, not want your mate wants. :)
  5. <puzzled>
    Why are you, then, suggesting, he go speak to a dealer?

The bikes he lists, KDX's, two-stroke WR's and (shudder) DT's, are, respectively, a 15-year-old enduro design, a 13-year-old detuned motocrosser and a farm bike. A 2000-ish XR400, which falls within his four grand budget, will piss on the two-strokes in the bush.
  6. I think I might start looking around for a few year old XR250 to XR400. Initially I told my mate I wanted to get a XR400, he said he had one and it was heavy, but there is a big change the one he had was ancient. I will see what a few more of you guys rekon.

7. Dont know a great deal about trail bikes, but one thing i do know is the modern 4 strokes are the way to go.
  8. AZZ, IK's got a point about the age of bikes and the amount of money you want to spend. Why would you spend that on bikes that are so old, and old designs as well?
  9. That's true, but the OP's budget of four grand could, with hard bargaining, get him a 98 WR400 that's about to put the rod through the cases.
  10. A nice dealer who knows he wants second hand anyway would be able to give good advice. If he goes in and tells them exactly what he plans to do with the bike, they can use examples of different styles in the shop to pint out the pros/cons of each relative to what he wants. The guys at Riders Edge for example (although they don't often sell bikes) do a lot of racing various off road bikes and would have far more knowledge of the options currently available that I do. :)

Yes I could have suggested XR400, but he was asking about small bikes. If he's interested in something bigger, they are good fun. Especially in comparison to say a WR400 which I find somewhat over powered thus not great for inexperienced riders.
  11. you should definately be looking for a 4 stroke for your type of riding. 2 strokes are great fun, even a 125 2 stroke has a great burst of power, but it isn't so great for trail riding, when the power comes on it tends to blast on, its not well spead across the rev range. A 4 stroke however has much smoother power throughout the revs, as well as having more torque down low, and is therefore a lot more controllable when riding trails which may need you to be pretty delicate on the throttle if you dont want to get sent into a tree.

As for bike choice, ive got an xr250 which is an awesome bike if you havn't been riding for awhile. xr's can really be called a dualsport, this means its not the fastest 250, but has plenty of power on the trails, and is also great to ride on the road. The other similar bikes would be a drz250 or ttr250, but the xr would definately be the pick of those three. the best part about these bikes is they are totally robust and need next to no maintenance, just regular oil changes should see them going forever with services spaced for apart and cheap.

The other options would be something like a wr250, which will be tons of fun and definately a better bike than the xr250. but also more highly strung meaning more servicing and more frequent oil changes. which also means its not that suitable racking up km's on the road. but if you like getting your hands dirty this wont matter so much I guess.

after that you step up to 400-450, but then you do start to get heavier, and more expensive.

So really, XR250's rock, you cant go wrong.
  12. Im pretty sure I now want to go for an XR400, what year should I try and stay above, for my 4k budget im having a hard time finding a 2000 model, but I can find them from 1997 to 1999. Is there any year that you guys know of that they had significant change, like in design or weight?

Thanks a lot for the advice guy, it really was what I wanted to be told, I was definatly questioning getting a 2 stroke as it was really against my grain (kinda like Holden vs Ford) haha, but thats what my mates suggested, but you guys have just assured me I was correct in wanting a 4 stroke.

As I said earlier I havent ridden for about 10 years, but I was a very good rider when I was riding, its just been a while.
  13. The XR400 went pretty much unchanged throughout its life. One from the mid-90's is going to be the exact same bike as a 2004 model.

Somewhere along the line, plastics went from being white with red stickers to red with black stickers. That's about it, and that's one of their attractions.