Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best seats at Phillip Island GP?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by kevie88, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, I just signed up here as my new wife and I are making the trek in October from Canada to your lovely continent to see the MotoGp Race at Phillip Island(among other things..). My question to you is this:

Of the four grandstand areas, Lukey heights seems like the best bet, however I thought it prudent to run it past you guys(and ladies) first. What would be your pick and why?

2. Lukey Heights is indeed the best overall viewing location (although only if you have a grandstand seat - not quite so great in the general admission area). Many spectacular passing passing manouevres have happened right there, plus you can see the next two corners leading onto the main straight.
    It's a fairly long hike to the main activity area (Gardner Straight) from Lukey, but it does at least have some services.
    The viewing area at Siberia corner is probably better for seeing more of the circuit, but it can be very exposed to the weather, and as the name suggests, it's a loooong way from anywhere.
    Gardner Straight is not good for seeing much of the on-track action, but the the 'brolly girls are all there :grin:
  3. I reckon that the best seat at PI is the front left one just on the white line that is painted across the track.

But for the rest of us, I'd probably have to say that Lukey Heights is looking good, having been at Siberia, Bass Straight and Gardner Straight grandstands.

Or, if you are cashed up, one of the hospitality suites. The one on the last turn onto Gardner Straight would be good. Not far to walk from the main gate, and a brisk stroll to the activities, Expo, etc. that occurs around that area.
  4. +1 for the grandstand at Lukey Heights. :)
  5. Anywhere is great cause your there havin a great time. Gotta love PI.
    Pit lane if you have a pass.
  6. I think the Lukey heights stand at the GP is rubbish. After sitting at Lukey for the 2000 SBK, I was pissed off with the grandstand position for the GP: you get to see them come over the hill, and feck-all else

Siberia and Bass Straight are much, MUCH better
  7. Hi there and welcome,

If your coming down to PI for the first time, get there early friday morning, go through the expo tents, and take a walk around the track,

You can asses YOUR fav viewing spots around the track, and head back their on race day.

For mine, Siberia is a fav, close to some action, and good viewing of other parts of the track, there is usually a superscreen also.

The view from Siberia

In the past i've got a grandstand seat at siberia and just used it for a place to have arest from y walks to different vantage points around the place.

Roll on OCT

8. Thanks everyone for your input.. I went ahead and booked the Lukey H seats before I saw your post, Stan.. oh well, I'm sure we're going to have a great time anyway. We have some great tickets for the Malaysian GP the following week so I won't be too upset if LH sucks..

Anyone in Lukey Heights at the race, keep your eyes peeled for a couple of drunk, friendly Canadians! :)

As a side note, where's a great place to camp for the weekend? I would like to camp out over the GP weekend at a "GP campground" (Ie where other fans are camping)
  9. Hey guys,

I have a general admission ticket and its my first time, where is the best viewing area for general admission pass holders on race day?