Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best Riding Tip?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Dec 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Thought I'd start a sticky with input from everyone on their best riding tip for other riders, new and experienced alike.

I'll kick it off with one from me: Lead with your shoulder

Your shoulder is what ultimately steers the bike. Leading with your shoulder helps ensure correct weight balance and shifting. Turning left, lean in with your left shoulder and let it lead the way. It takes your mind off what the handle bars and front wheel are doing, and lets your unconscious mind and the bike work out the lean angle and line for you.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. EYES UP

Keep your head up and look where you are going. Look at the gutter and you'll end up in the gutter, look at the pothole and you'll end up in it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Don't fall into the trap of target fixation. If you go into a corner thinking you're going too fast, don't panic - just look where you want to go (the exit of the corner).

Damn, you beat me to it. I'll have another one then.

Being called a powerranger hurts, but tarmac hurts more - good protective gear makes the difference between a few grazes vs. needing skin grafts. Most important when you're learning, as its typically when you're going to make alot of mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ride your own ride if you are riding with better/faster/crazier riders only do as hard as you feel comfortable going. You can always catch up at the next stop

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Exactly what Happy.Grl said..

Ride at your pace and your level. If you try and keep up with someone above your level, there is good chance you will come unstuck.. Remember ride to live, not ride to race..

And although some people may not agree, always suit up. Head to toe protective gear is a must. I always use this one, remember when you stacked your pushie as a kid ? Fair mess to your knees and hands wasnt it. Well that was at 10kph, so imagine the mess at 60 or 80 kph.. :shock:

6. Tyre pressure.... very very important.
    check your tyres every time you fuel up, (unless your doing long days with 2 tanks a day) or if you don't ride that often, check them everytime you go for a ride, tyres will lose pressure if the bike is sitting about not being ridden.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Your rubber will hold on much longer than you will, dont stand it up because you are too hot in to a corner, trust the rubber beneath you. a lowside is much less painful than introducing yourself to a bank/armco/vehicle coming the other way etc. in order to hold on, refer to mouth's tip, and drop the shoulder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Use your knees and back

Hand getting sore, going numb? It's because you're holding your weight on them. Grip the tank with your knees and use your back to hold your weight. I know it hurts, but your body will get used to it.

9. Use your knees and back - Part 2

Everybody used to tell me to use my knees and back, not my hands and arms. It is hard, and I really didn't understand what it meant, because I watched good riders with their knees down, and looking pretty loose.

I now know what it means, when cornering, is to support your weight using your outside leg against the tank. Don't let your outside leg be pushed aside by your weight as you lean in. Push back with that leg. Your inside leg can flap around though, if you want it to.

Oh, and when braking into a corner, hang on with both legs. Or when you decide to let go with both hands.

If you do the above, you are not constantly clamping on to the tank with your legs, and they wont be worn out after the first 5 Km. :grin:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BE SEEN - How to avoid being vehicles crossing your path

If you're a part of a line of cars, try to look like one by continuing the wall fibreglass/steel/aluminium.

The average cagers brain is trained by habit to look for cars...when they see a car, bike, car line coming towards them, their brain registers, car, SPACE, car...that often leads them to turn across your path as they believe they have enough distance to the car behind you and your bike to get across...

If a car is waiting to turn right across your path and you’re between cars, make yourself look like a car by being in the right lane, but swerve to the left track at the last sec in case the car hasn’t seen you.

If someone is looking to pull into your lane, be on the wheel track that’s closest to them so they see it’s being used. Always be ready to swerve in case they haven’t seen you.

If you're a part of a line of cars, try to look like one by continuing the wall fibreglass/steel/aluminium... as if you're the same width

I take NO credit for this TIP. It was given to me by some of the more experienced NR's.
    This was the MOST valuable piece of advice I have ever recieved here, and has SAVED me more times than I can think of.

OP: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41628&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

:biker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Know where you are, in the gearbox, at all times!
    your gearbox is your best friend, being in the right gear all the time will save your arse more often than not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. In traffic, space is your friend. Be upfront, be behind, as far as practical, don't be beside.

If you are beside, try and be level with the front doors so there's a better than even chance you're seen... but that's no guarantee, so even then be sure to have an escape plan in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cover your brakes in situations where a quick unexpected response may be required e.g. thru/past shopping strips, school areas etc. This will cut down your reaction process and save you valuable time - may even help you avoid the worst.

14. Ride like you are invisible
    NEVER ride beside a car
    pass wide and fast.

these three rules have turned the "first and only hit" from a car to countless near misses.

15.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Learn to e-brake, then keep practicing regularly.
    Get to know how far you need to e-stop from 50/60 80 100/110. This will mimimise the "oh sh*t" factor. I've found a number of times that I have thought "I can do this", and have, with room to spare.
    When you know you can't stop, you will then look for other alternatives. It still maybe brake, but include a swerve.

17. Plan your escape

When you are at traffic lights, leave room in front to get around the car, know if you can go left or right to avoid a vehicle hitting you from behind. Check your mirrors for vehicles behind you, and over your shoulder for bikes filtering. Be in first gear, ready to make your get-away!!

(Gives me more confidence as a newbie, knowing I have an escape plan!)

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Three R's

If you are going to ride any type of motorbike use the Three R's:

1. RIDE to your ability
    2. RIDE to your bike's ability
    3. RIDE to the conditions of the moment

And always remember to Ride with the correct protective clothing. As a minimum wear protective gloves, a decent jacket (leather or textile), protective boots (at least covering your ankles), jeans, and an approved helmet.

Hope everyone rides safe over the XMAS/New Year break and see you in 2008.

Cheers - Paul (aka Kroeb)

• Like Like x 2
  19. The most effective safety device is your"BRAIN"
    Too many people want to ride fast,if you concentrate on smooth all the time braking,cornering you will be surprised how much quicker you'll be not to mention your tyres,brakes everything mechanical will be that much more economical to maintain.
    Remember every other vehicle is piloted by a blind,deaf syphilitic moron smile if you want,it will get proven too often.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Relax Your Arms

Similar to Mouth's Leading with the Shoulder, I guess, but when, in a left hander, for e.g, you find yourself extending or tightening your left arm, relax it, let it bend naturally and you'll enter and exit the corner with more accuracy. Same with right handers. Doing this will also give you a heightened sense of leading with the shoulder.