Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best riding I've seen for a long while

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Roarin, Sep 2, 2011.

1. #1 Roarin, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This dude can ride. Aggressive but still smooth. Watch for the sideways snaky at about 4:40. Better than any Motogp footage I've seen yet

• Like Like x 5
  2. Loved every second of that, thanks...
  3. what a clip!! I have never seen a clip like that before, if thats what it's like on a track i dont reckon I'll ever be able to experience it myself so will drool over these types of clips. senstaional ride!!
  4. Just watching that got my adrenaline pumping! Awesome!
  5. That circuit is something special - I know it fairly well from simulations, and from its legend...
    "Nordschleife" translates to "Northern Loop", and is 22.8km of an original 28-odd kilometer circuit. Yep, one lap is almost 23 k's...
    Most famous turn is the Carousel, a dual grade banked left-hander with a steep, concrete inner track allowing high-speed passes for the brave, but with an outer lip requiring serious skill and/or testicular fortitude to conquer.

This track is accessible to the public for a small fee (about 90 Euro for 4 laps), and fatalaties are estimated between 3 and 12 per year.
  6. Awesome vid. Love all the little power wheelies

Yeap I know this track like the back of my hand...thanks to video games...
  7. i needed clean shorts after a minute.....
  8. I can imagine the fatalities are from forgetting which strait stretch requires how much braking - theres no room to run off.
  9. How do you get a ZX10 and the Ring to yourself ??
    Just amazing.
    7.50 ??? A stock GT-R went around in 7.29
    Show's how a bike is quick getting to speed. But a car is quicker when your there.
  10. was that the new model 'line though brett?? they have computer nerdery controlling suspension/yaw etc and CAN hit corners harder than most
  11. Yup. The older one was in the 7.60's. Well 7.59's
    Still plenty of places that 10 would be hitting 300kmp/h. And lots of camber and very un- bike friendly curbing.
    Not as mad as the isle. But faster.
  12. Yeah, you could quite easily see where he was backing off quite considerably in places -such as the bumpy slower corners and also the 2 different types of ashphalt in the repaired sections. This doesn't upset a car quite so badly. Also, 4 wheels generate more grip than 2.
  13. woah, great riding! still have to go to a track day...
  14. ****ing hoon
  15. wow, fantastic clip.
  16. I'd love to have a ride around there. Like NK, I know it well from legend and playstation.

Relative times for cars and bikes - this track is actually a good case study to demonstrate the kind of circumstances where a (good) car is quicker.

As a rule, bike people will tell you bikes are way quicker than cars, and car people will tell it the other way around. People who know both waffle, because it's not that simple.

As a general rule, in a straight line, a standard bike will be faster than a standard car, but once you start talking highly tuned cars, all bets are off. You may not find one on every street corner, but there are 9 second street cars out there.

The car crowd are more likely to be more willing to try harder, earlier, in dodgier conditions. ie., give me 15 runs to get warmed up and get confident the bike's right and the tyres are warm and I know where all the corners go, and I'll still be getting quicker on run 15. The car guys can usually get close to their best time by the 2nd or 3rd run.

In the absence of real ground effect and real race spec tyres, a car doesn't corner any better or faster than a bike under ideal conditions. But ideal conditions are a bit rare in the real world. Throw in a few bumps and undulations, leaves on the road, braking and cornering at the same time - unpredictable levels of grip for any reason, and the car has the edge. The bigger the degree of uncertainty, the greater advantage to the car.

The same is true for braking. In some ways, a bike has an edge, particularly in terms of repeated full stopping in a short space of time. You can make the brakes on a bike fade, but you have to be trying a bit. Almost any car will overheat its brakes in a backstreet scrap if you take 1st left, 1st right ... and repeat. There just isn't enough airflow over the car brakes to cool them. They will overheat. (Alright, exotic stuff with carbon/ceramic brakes is different. I'd except any Porsche, actually. They all stop brilliantly. I'm generalising.)

Braking into blind, downhill, tightening radius, bumpy corners where there's no room for error - advantage car. Hugely. Oddly, Nurbergring has a number of corners like that. They'd be a bit scary in a car, but bl00dy horrifying on a bike.

The other place a car has a big edge on a bike is in change of direction. At any speed, but especially at higher speeds, a car can go from a full-force left turn to a full-force right turn in the blink of an eye. (Alright, it has dangers, the driver needs to know what he's doing, because if he's not careful he can 'flick' the car at high speed. The point is it's possible.) Getting a bike from full left to full right at top speed, would take a lot of nerve, a lot of strength, and a long time. The faster you go, the harder it gets to suddenly change direction. The green hell has lots of places where you go from hard left to hard right at way over a hundred miles an hour. The Fox Hole immediately comes to mind.

Let me try and describe the Fox Hole. There's a straight before it, and you approach at near the car's top speed. You go from open fields into deep pine forest, and over a blind crest. You find yourself in a gully, about 600m across and perhaps 40m deep. The road dips down and levels out and then climbs again, in a shape like a soup bowl, but it's not smooth. There are serious undulations all the way through. Once upon a time, the road went straight through here, but just on the far side of the gully, over the next crest, there's a very slow left - right, with a huge rock wall facing you if you run on at the left. After a few people forgot about this and ran into the rock wall at over a hundred miles an hour, the track owners decided to make some changes, so they introduced a set of 'gentle' bends, all the way through the gully - each one slightly slower than the one before it. There are (I think) 6 of them. The idea is to progressively slow you down before you get to the rock wall. Nice. What they've created is a blind crest, into sudden darkness (think tunnel at Monaco), into a 160 mph right - left, into a 140 mph right - left, into an 80 mph right - left, over another blind crest into a 40 mph stop-left. All with enormous subsidence whoops, all taken pretty hard on the brakes, all with zero run-off or room for error. It is one of the most exacting, challenging, hair raising pieces of tarmac on the planet.

[edit] If we're looking at the same clip - which I can't be sure of because that link doesn't work for me - then our man goes under a railway bridge at 2:42. From there on you see a series of left - right kinks that can be taken flat, but about 2:50 it dips down into a gully. They've trimmed back the trees a bit. I can't see the rock wall, and there now seems to be a row of small trees in front of it, at 3:06. I notice that our pilot is a bit off line a few times through there. You wouldn't want to be going any faster. Anyway - between 2:50 and about 3:06, that's the Fox Hole.

There's some old footage, super-8 from the 60s and 70s, of people rolling cars there, at that last left - mostly VW beetles. I'll see if I can find it.

What this shows is that I should check before I type. It's not a rock wall at the end, it's another steep gully that the road dodges around. My bad. Pretty much all this was shot from that last left.
  17. So much wisdom, so early in the morning. :p

What that video shows is that folks were tougher back then.

I have to agree; knowing you have four contact patches that are larger than the two you have on the bike is very reassuring. Lets not forget the extreme levels of downforce which high performance cars can have which is difficult to achieve on a motorcycle.

I think we need a netrider group buy of the ring.
  18. Thanks kneedragon, great read.

I'm like you, have done many laps there on a PS. Still haven't quite committed it to memory though, I often find myself forgetting all about a corner. Laguna Seca I can do in my sleep now, but Nurburgring needs more laps!

If anyone out there hasn't played a Playstation before, check this clip out for how great a job they have done re-creating this track.

19. There's been at least 3-4 crashes that i've heard of (and i'm sure a LOT more) on the Ring from people who say "Oh i've played it so many times on my PS3, i know the track by heart" etc and end up rolling a car or worse due to their false sense of confidence. No game will prepare you for the real thing, surface changes, g forces, camber changes, bumps etc.

Great vid of the 60s and 70s stuff... amazing how many fall out of cars and just get up and walk off lol.
  20. I don't imagine even in my wildest dreams that I would be able to ride Laguna or the Ring just because I play it a lot on the PS3! I just enjoy watching the racing at Laguna more because I am so familiar with the track. I reckon if I ever got a crack at the Ring I'd be lucky to break 30 minutes!