Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best product to put a new valve cover gasket on with

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by littleal, Apr 11, 2009.

1. G'day all,
    i was just wondering what is the best product to put a new valve gasket on with????

cheers littleal
  2. Just make sure there is no left over old gaskit and the surfaces are clean and you shouldn't have any problems.
    There are a trillion products avail to augment new and old reused gaskits just depends on how much you want to spend and how often your going to use that product [ some are expensive and do tend to 'go off' even when sealed if not all used up over a month or so.

One of my fav's is Aviation gaskit goo :grin: if your not careful you can make one hell of a mess with this stuff as well :LOL:
    Or you can use one of the more expensive, form a gaskit tubes [ usually blue or orange in colour] not as messy either :-w :LOL:

Or you can go real cheap and just use silastic, works ok but wont stick if there is ANY oil residue on any of the mating surfaces.
  3. gasket goo. a thin smear on both surfaces, put the seal in between, and walla! never had anything leak doing it this way, even rocker covers on a boxer engine.
  4. Nothing. As long as there's no damage to the mating surfaces all I use is some oil to make sure it doesn't bind up while it's being done up.
  5. Three bond. Good enough from the factory, good enough for me.
  6. 3M have a product called threebond. It is about 30 bux a tube, but I will use nothing else.
  7. Same here. I've known of fellows who've used templates cut from cereal boxes for the whole head gasket and had no problems. I wouldn't advise this, mind you. :?

If its in a difficult position (ie gasket keeps sliding out of position) then the aforementioned gasket goo products may well be worth their while. Oil should be sufficient if the surface is less than vertical, however.

Cheers - boingk