Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best place to put a fuel filter

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by TAX123, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I just got a small see through plastic fuel filter and was looking for a place to put it, i finally settled on right close to the carbies, is this ok, can i remove the one at the fuel cock now, has anyone else attached a fuel filter to their bike, after spraying out the carbies i would like them to stay clean

2. Personally, I'd have the new filter as well as, not instead of, the factory filter screen in the tap. Belt and braces and it gives you the option of ditching the aftermarket filter if it causes problems.

Anywhere in the line should be OK so close to the carb is fine.

I've heard of people experiencing fuel flow problems when using supplementary filters but, having run cheapo, Supercrap type units on several of my carburetted bikes I've never encountered any difficulty myself. Just ensure that you keep the installation neat, with no great loops of tube or exaggerated high or low points in the pipe run and you should be right.

3. If you can, make sure you have enough length in the fuel line so you can remove the filter & rejoin if it causes problems.

4. I've just done this to my bike, and its in the line about and inch or so from the carby. Its the bronze solid-element filter type (gold cone in plastic housing) and I've had zero problems having now done a few hundred kay.

On the up side I can see small particles collecting in the filter, so its definitely doing what its supposed to. I'd leave the stocko one(s) in place. I think my bike has three now; at the tap, in the line and in the carby.

Cheers - boingk

5. thanks for the replys
    I had to cut the hose to fit the filter, so if it does stuff up, i would need another filter or a double adapter of some sort, it seems to run ok, i used hose from my cars radiator overflow hose, but have now got my hands on a fuel hose , the rubber is harder so dont know if the current one would disolve in the petrol, will change it tomorrow, its only an inch from the carbies and its cool to be able to see the petrol running in and see if any crap works its way down the line. saw some micro sized filters at peps but i ended up getting the slightly larger but not the much larger car type as that one wouldnt fit anywhere

[​IMG]

6. That's not a 100E Ford engine in the background is it?

7. could well be ?

I just linked the picture to show the type of fuel filter i am using on my bike now, its a car fuel filter but cant see why it cant be used on my bike, they sell micro filters for bikes but i thought the size of the filter would make it clog up faster and need changing sooner. so i took the more ecomomic way out :LOL:

8. That filters got some size on it for sure, but on a 900 thats hardly going to hurt. Mine is about the size of a thimble and is easily coping with the demands of my mighty 125 stroker. The man thing is getting an inline filter, so you don't get fuel starved by one with weird intake/output placements. You've done that so I really don't see a problem.

Good stuff - boingk