Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best of the 250's

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jadas, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I know there's lots of knowledge on these forums, and I'm new to riding (Still yet to get a bike). I was looking to get a 400/500cc, but I think now for my first bike i might be better off gtting a cheaper 250. I want something that can still go comfortably at 100km> I'm not really familiar with what models to consider. so far I have in mind the cb250f, the vtr250 (actually what are the main differences between these two?)

Which models from other brands should i consider?

I prefer the naked style :)

2. I've also seen the zeal too...
  3. have a look at the gs500f as i was in the same position and the experinced people i was talking to said that after a few weeks ill want more power and also it wont be reving at 11000 rpm just about 5000 so smother ride
  4. jadas where are you?
    we had the same situation in melb yesterday where someone came down to look and talk about getting the first bike.
    If theres a training session in your state, make contact and rock up, talk to the owners get their point of view of the bikes, get the plus and minus of as many bikes of the type you are interested in, then sit on them, then get your learners and go shoppping!! Roll up to the training sessions and 'follow the wisdom' shared by the established guys, you wont go wrong! and good luck and enjoy the ride, it is a great feeling!!
  5. vtr is a twin cylinder and has more power than the single cylinder cbr.
    they are a good bike, won't find a better choice, if you can find a good one.
    i don't think they make them anymore.

...but just how comfortable do you want to be at 100kph. because they"ll do it just fine. assumming you are not a fatso. but add wind and rain, things will get hairy.

theres a couple of 2fiddy tards that are great little urban weapons. one newly released here from kawasaki. klx type i think. the other is a yamaha, more expensive but more advanced.
    they would be a ****load of fun, but again wind and rain at higher speeds on a lightweight bike between two bigassed trucks commming each way. gets a bit turbulent.
  6. Others include:

Honda Spada 250
    Hyosung GT250
    Honda CB250 Hornet

I reckon the VTR250 is the best. But the Spada 250 is also a fantastic option if your on a tight budget.
  7. ^ Cb250F = Hornet 250.

I spent a year researching 250's because its all i could really afford to rego here are my findings:

1. pretty much every 250 is shit besides the race replica bikes of the 90s
    2. these bikes are great, however most have been thrashed
    3. Hence, you buy a hornet, which most seem to be in better nic because the owners are not moronic tards like most of the people who ride race replica 250's because of the naked design which generally attracts a more intelligent crowd.

I would say buy the Hornet, it really is the best 250 you can get. Amazing handling, sounds great, very fast for a 250 you can get to 100 in about 5.5, looks great, has a huge rear tire which means you can fit great soft compound race tires on it and very very good brakes, they are also rare and special bikes, expect to be treated with a bit more respect when you rock up at a rider cafe on a twisty road then you would if you rocked up on a ninja 250.

I would highly recommend a hornet, they are the best 250 you can get, over the course of the year i was researching, i actually didnt want to get a hornet, this is because my mate owned one and i didnt want to just copy him, but i kept coming back to it because no other bike out there could really match it for speed, handling, comfort and style.

In the end i just bit the bullet and bought a hornet, however i bought my mates hornet in the end, so that we wouldnt both have the same bike :p.

They are also very good on the highway, i have done 10 hour days on highways at 110 and it goes very well, still has plenty of overtaking power because it sits right in its power band at 110. also because its a 4cyl its very balanced and smooth at these high revs, unlike the VTR.

EDIT: Dont bother asking other learners what they think of their bikes, the majority just walked into a show room and lapped up the shit the salesmen talked and ended up buying THE GREATEST MOTORCYCLE IN THE WORLD THE NINJA 250R (caps lock for sarcasm emphasis, ninjas are absolute hunks of shit) and as such have no idea what they are talking about.

If you want i can find you some scans of an a magazine road test between the Hornet, VFR400, CB400 and another bike (forgot sorry), from some english bike mag from the 90s' pretty much the hornet wiped the floor with them and the writers were very sad to hear that it was never going to be sold in the UK
  8. had a gpx250, no problems at all (cept the time i dropped the thing...)

great little bike, did a few 600km days nps, commuting was a breeze, topped out at about 180.

plenty of good little bikes out there! dont get a cbf250 though :p the vtr's are very popular for a reason! never rode one but heard nothing but good things :)
  9. im confused! cbf250/cb250f.. whats the difference? and how do they differ from a vtr?

also, what do you guys think are the pros/cons of learning of a 500cc?
  10. "Dont bother asking other learners what they think of their bikes, the majority just walked into a show room and lapped up the shit the salesmen talked and ended up buying THE GREATEST MOTORCYCLE IN THE WORLD THE NINJA 250R (caps lock for sarcasm emphasis, ninjas are absolute hunks of shit) and as such have no idea what they are talking about"

I'd love to hear why.
  11. VTR250: Naked 250cc V-twin sporty thing, where Honda grabbed a 1997 Ducati Monster 750, pinned it down on top of a photocopier and hit "33% reduction". Seriously, I'm not joking - Even the instrument panel was identical to the Ducati Monster 750 until 2003 when they decided that learner riders were reluctant to "shift by feel" and probably deserved a tachometer. 140mm wide rear tyre from memory. Peak power of about 32 horsepower at 10,500rpm; it's not the most powerful of the three but what it loses in top-end power it makes up for with mid-range and low-end tractability, as is often the case with how V-twins are tuned. 5 speed gearbox; some complain that it doesn't have 6 gears while I enjoy the reduced rotational inertia from not having an unnecessary 6th gear. ;) Semi-sporty seating position. 141kg dry weight, which is pretty damn light. VTR250 was sold here in Australia and so isn't a grey import.

CBF250: "Standard" 250cc thumper commuter bike. Single cylinder. CBF250 is basically the successor to the venerable parallel-twin CB250 commuter bike. Makes about 22 horsepower for peak power at 8000rpm, with lazier low-range and mid-range power for more tractability around town. Of the three bikes, it'd be the "laziest" to ride with a strong emphasis on low-rpm power. Drum rear brake, whereas the other two have discs front and rear. 6 speed gearbox. 138kg dry weight. Cheap and cheerful commuting bike. Standard seating position, more upright than the VTR or Hornet. CBF250 was sold here in Australia and so isn't a grey import.

CB250F, aka "Hornet 250": Naked 250cc inline-4 sporty thing. It's the engine from the CBR250RR race replica in a semi-sporty seating naked bike frame, detuned a little from the fully-faired sportsbike to have a little more low-range and mid-range power at the cost of peak power. 180mm wide rear tyre, so it looks like a 'big' sportsbike and its chassis is the same as the Hornet 600 - again, it's a 'big' sportsbike look. 40 horsepower or so at 14,000rpm - the Hornet has the greatest emphasis on top-end power and so low-rpm and midrange suffers greatly compared to the VTR250 and CBF250. 6 speed gearbox. 151kg dry weight. Hornet 250 was never sold here officially, but it can and has been imported on the grey market 2nd-hand with all the fun and excitement that entails (e.g. insurance companies wanting $1million to insure it, or refusing to insure at all, etc)

Arguably the CB250F Hornet is the 'sportiest' of the three, but frankly the VTR250 does a fine job at handling sports duties too. AND the VTR makes sexy V-twin 'wob-wob wob-wob' sounds just like a 'real' V-twin bike, when fitted with a glasspack muffler. ;)

If you're a very tall person, the Hornet 250 is one of the physically biggest 250cc bikes made, which means a little more legroom is available. Relatively spacious.

The CBF250 isn't anywhere near the VTR or Hornet for sportiness; it is, without passing judgement, a commuter bike. Very cheap to buy, very cheap to run and maintain and oriented entirely toward urban riding with its lazy low and midrange power, single-cylinder, etc.

For what it's worth, I wanted a Hornet 250 really bad when I was doing my learner's licence. LAMS didn't exist back in 2006 in Victoria. But the stealerships (e.g. Sumoto) wanted $1 billion for a Hornet and told all sorts of outright lies about the bikes they were selling so I walked away and got a secondhand VTR250 instead. Put about 45,000km on the VTR, commuting, touring, scratching. Good times. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I though the 250 ninjas were a good little thing. They certainly sell well.
  13. They are, that guy just has a vendetta against Ninjas for some reason.
  14. QBE just quoted me $321 for full comprehensive on mine. First time I've insured a bike but it seems reasonable to me, especially being a learner.
  15. And QBE wanted $220 for comprehensive on the VTR250 with me, not that that means much as a direct comparison. I mean, we know nothing of your past driver experience, age, demographic, age of the Hornet, value insured for, etc. :)

All things being equal,
    The fully-faired bikes tend to attract higher premiums than naked bikes because they're more easily damaged when dropped and cost a craptonne more to repair when dropped. Nekkid bikes are relatively cheap to fix and relatively resiliant to damage in a zero-speed or low speed drop.

Demographic-wise, the fully-faired race replicas tend to attract even higher premiums because of the 'boy racer' demographic doing their best to crash every CBR250RR and ZX2R as quickly as possible, quite literally. Other bikes which attract hoons also have higher premiums.

Grey imports tend to attract higher premiums (or are refused insurance entirely) either because of their unknown-ness with respect to crash frequency, repair costs and uncertainty of replacement parts and repairers.

But hey, maybe QBE's got enough under its belt to make a good assessment of Hornet-related risk in the last five years, or are less opposed to the notion of insuring a grey import than they were back then.
  16. I just want to know what that guy has against Ninjas.
  17. they have

shit suspension
    shit power
    shit 20 year old technology
    cheap plastic fake race fairings which are pointless
    wheels from a pushy
    crappy riding position
    terrible no name brakes that look intense but in reality are shit

They are ok if you just want to ride to work, if you want to ride it as a sports bike as your main priority they are no good.

Most of the people who own them, did no research and just bought something that looks cool, to me this shows alot about the owners as generally being people who dont care and dont do research, this annoys me because Kawasaki rips people off with a 20 year old bike that looks like a race bike and sells it for like 7 grand.

I just think people should take some time to do some research on such an important purchase, and any research will show that ninja 250's are not good.
  18. My Ninja is a fun little thing! Relatively new, minimal problems. I thrash mine around a bit so a bit of wear and tear is a given. If you want the full-faired look then the Ninja 250 is a great option. Good to learn with. Sure, shit suspension, shit brakes. But i'm a n00b, what do I know about brakes and suspension...it does the job, and will continue to do so until I decide that I want more. THEN it's serious business.
  19. Funny how you bash it for having 20 year old technology when you're riding around on a 15 year old grey import.

And I did read plenty of reviews of the Ninja, all of which had nothing but good things to say about it. The suspension is soft so that road imperfections don't transfer to the controls.

The brakes aren't six piston motogp brakes because it isn't designed to slow down from 200 to 100km/h in a fraction of a second like a proper sports bike. Do you really think that sort of braking power is sensible in the hands of a learner?

I don't know where you got that 20 year old tech thing from anyway, the engine only has 30% of the parts from the previous generation, and it's not like 250 technology has made giant leaps and bounds in the last 20 years anyway, apart from EFI.

As for the power thing, I haven't ridden a Hornet but I haven't found power to be an issue on the Ninja. The only complaint i'll agree with is that the wheels are a little skinny.
  20. VN250 ? Or you not a cruiser person ?