Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best of 3 for a learner with minimal riding experience?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by samb., Mar 26, 2010.

1. Hi everyone.
    I've been researching and looking around at bikes for awhile now in preparation for getting my L's in about a months time. I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes that are within my price range (being no more than about $3000) in my area and that I like the look of.
    Was just looking for some experienced feedback on which of these would be best for a beginner or if they are possibly all total rubbish and in that case where else I should be looking? Most of all I just can't wait to jump on one and start learning how to ride :)

1999 Yamaha Zeal

2002 Hyosung GT250

1989 Honda VT250 Spada

Thanks in advance guys

2. Ok, just checked out the links, my first feeling was the yamaha, then the honda, then the hyo.

The fact that the Hyo needed a new motor at 20000km's tells you something about the quality of thier 250.

The Yamaha looks like its got a bent front brake leverto go with the dent in the tank, no bigee, but worth checking what else might be wrong. The ventura rack is $300 worth that you will find very handy.

The Honda sounds well looked after service wise, but check out the rust on the front header pipe, they are getting a bit long in the tooth now.

If you need a hand checking one out let me know. Any excuse for a ride.....
  3. +1 I agree with Buna, the Zeal then the Spada.. forget about the Hyo.
  4. I'd go the spada personally. Cracking little bikes they are. V-twin is a winner when it comes to learning IMHO. It'll 'feel' like it has more midrange and lowdown power. Less kays, too. Try and knock a bit off the price Tell him you got something like $2550 if he wants to part for it for that.

Didn't click the hyo link. What does that say about them to you?