Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best intermediate course?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sinnerman, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hi All,

Can anyone recommend an intermediate riding course in the Sydney area? Stay Upright and HART seem to be the biggest, but which is better, or are there others that are better?

Here's my situation: I took basic lessons and received my license about three years ago, but then, for various reasons, didn't buy a bike or ride at all. Just a few weeks ago, however, I bought a bike and have been re-learning my basic skills and gaining some confidence. Now, I want to take an intermediate course which will teach me more about traffic safety, breaking, cornering, how to fall, etc. Since I live in Sydney, a course that focuses on riding in traffic would probably be best.

Any recommendations?
  2. Save your money.

If you think you need instruction in how to fall off a bike, you're not really at the stage where further instruction will have much of an effect. You'll learn a lot more by just getting out there and riding as much as possible and realising how much of your impression that you need to be taught what to do is just inconfidence talking.
  3. Bit unfair, there IK, he is asking about all sorts of skills, falling is only an afterthought.
    General feedback on this forum seems to be that the HART courses produce good results. I'm sure you'll get a lot of feedback on this.....
  4. G'day Sinnerman.

IMO go do the courses... do as many as you can. If you are "inconfident" then this is exactly the time to get this stuff shown you in a controlled manner and short circuit the experience process.

Then all the riding you do will help entrench the better skills you've been shown.

You wont get taught how to fall off... but you'll get taught lots of stuff about roadcraft, bike handling and avoiding the circumstances that can get you in trouble...

IK's right in that there's no substitute for getting out there... but if your experience level is low, how are you going to know that you went wide on a corner because you were too tight on the bars... you probably don't even know what that means...

Alternatively... read all the tip sites that are around, read Keith Code, read the msgroup forums, read the road craft tips in here etc etc etc and start assimilating the info... then get out there!

5. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  6. Wow. I'm stunned that people think learning the proper way to react in an accident and how to minimise injury is unimportant! Yes, the idea is to NOT have an accident and need these skills, but in reality, motorcycle riding is inherently dangerous, considering all the bad drivers out there who are in control of MUCH bigger vehicles, and it's important to know that. If people think they're so confident that they will never be in a situation where they will need such defensive techniques, then I'd say your OVER-confident.
  7. :shock: Stick with learning the other skills and hopefully this won't be necessary. I find falling off can be very painful and it's not considered best practice. :LOL:

The truth is that you don't get a lot of choice when push comes to shove so you'll just have to rely on instict. Just don't try to stand up until you stop moving. :)

As for the rest, do the course and enjoy on road practice all the more for having got your confidence up. What sort of bike did you buy? I'd recomend using a course that offers something similar, or you could use your own bike but then you'll care if you drop it. :)

Edit: Sorry mate I typed this as you put in your last post. You're right that you shld never think you won't stack (it eventually happens to everyone) but as I said, how it happens is not really your choice so just react to the actual situation. There was a thrad about falling off not long ago. Have a read, and you mind find some good advice in it. :)
  8. ...and I'd say you're wasting everyone's time.
  9. sinnerman you are right the more you learn the better prepared you are should something happen. Anyone that thinks they are wasting there time and don't think they learn each time they get on a bike is not in the real world.

Myself and other people in Vic have done the Ride-Tek Defensive Riding Course and I must say it was great to learn a bit more, If I did that course another few times I would still be learning each time.

10. All good and proper but when you have your humour gene implanted you will find learning how to FALL is what most people have picked up on.
    As for doing the lessons I would recommend you do them but they will teach you how to AVOID falling not learning how to fall.
  11. I gotta tell ya , i'm lil anoyed, ive fallen twice at high speed, if i had only known there were courses on this subject, i would have taken the Experienced course as well, because i probably did it incorrectly :p

But seriously, if you feel you could learn something from a course, go do it, ive known intermediate riders who were anoyed how little they were taught. If your a novice, then there'll be heeps knowledge to be gained.
    like IK said, go put up the riding hours and youll gain experience the real world way, might have fun doing it too.

cheers ratty
  12. G'day mate,

Having done HART's Learner and License course here in Melbourne I can only say you can't do much wrong by going with them. In all honesty, the things they mention in the course such as counter steering, emergency braking, turning, stopping in the middle of a turn - all are basic things you really need to master before starting to out in peak hour traffic.

Having done the course just made me more paranoid of all the hazards that are out there. However since doing that course, I've been riding in peak hour traffic every day to work - rain, hail or shine. So i think you need the course AND apply what you learn from that course in your daily riding (perhaps start off on weekends first to build up your confidence?)