Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best bike to learn on?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by WantFreedom, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

My plan is to learn to ride bike here in Melbourne get some experience to be able to ride overseas in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos mainly through country highlands and areas.

While I was in Vietnam I rode on the back of this bike in the picture which held my luggage a soft shell small suitcase and backpack obviously I need to learn to ride with this on the back so a road bike may not be sufficient to learn on here as I would be carrying some luggage with me.

So in regards to getting a LAMs bike anyone recommend that I should look for more a touring bike instead of road bike? or it doesn't matter to much as I don't want to outlay a great deal of money on my first bike,

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. I was very happy with my purchase of a 1991 Yamaha Virago 250. Have just returned from a two week trip with saddle bags, top bag and duffel bag loaded on the back. She handled the trip very well and was good on fuel as well as steering, etc.

I paid $2000 from a dealer plus registration costs and have been very happy with the condition of my purchase.

I guess it is pretty much what type of bike you want to ride. I'm short (4' 11") so the cruiser was the best option for me.
  3. I think your concern for riding with luggage is unfounded, it's not much(if any) different from riding with nothing unless one gets a bit carried away. Have a look on gumtree and cycle-ergo.com
  4. A Vietnamese friend looked at my CB250 and said something like "big bikes like that are what we ride in the mountains back home". 125s are probably more common over there, so you probably want something in that range. That looks a bit like a CB250 (or is it something smaller?) in your photo.
  5. $2000 is about what I wanted to spend so I will look at those Virago on bikesales see whats about :)

I didn't realise luggage didn't make much difference ofcourse I wouldn't be carried away the luggage on the back of his bike in the picture was about 15kg total so not much add me on the back which is another 90kg.

I'm not sure if it was a 250 or not but it struggled to get over 60-70kmph not sure if that tells you anything or not lol.
  6. 250 viragos are pretty gutless. If u like that sort of bike a Kawasaki el250 would be better, especially if your gonna put luggage on it and your 90 kgs.
  7. If you're touring wouldn't you like some off road capability as well? Bmw f650 or kawa klr 650, triumph tiger, etc, etc. Should find something LAMS approved here that fits that description.
  8. My Virago isn't gutless, it quite happily goes along at the speed limit and hubby has had it over 125km, that is comparing it with my Suzuki Marauder 250 that was a single cylinder and had an issue with keeping up with the Virago.

During our trip, I quite often out run hubby's V-Star and happily kept up with a couple of Harleys and other bikes.

Truly it depends on rider ability.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. What is your leg inseam? - 'dual sport' bikes tend to be fairly high of the ground.

Paula BatesonPaula Bateson - Keeping up with harleys is nothing to brag about :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Well I don't want to go offroad, I'm more looking at just cruising on the open roads but with luggage on the back as that is my aim for riding overseas with luggage on the back so I want to get a feel for things here first, when I'm riding overseas it won't involve offroad but it would involve basic dirt and bumpy roads but I wouldn't classify that as offroad.
  11. dirt turns to mud when it rains...
    • Like Like x 2
  12. hehe thats so true but I wouldn't put myself in a situation like that which could land me in trouble, I guess most of the roads are all sealed in Vietnam where I want to ride and if any were dirt I wouldn't be riding on them if there was a possibility of rain just incase I got stuck hehe.
  13. A google search for 'vietnam motorcycle tours' and I found this:

http://vietnammotorbiketours.com/travel-asia/motorbike/Our Bikes

So you might want to enquire about that angle too...
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I suppose it depends on what bikes u have ridden before. I own a 140hp night rod and a 170hp gsxr, so I found riding a 23 hp virago a horrible experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. IMO forget about buying a bike similar to what you would ride in Vietnam. If you are in Australia, buy a bike you want to ride in Australia.

When you get to Vietnam, the skills will transfer. TBH it can't be that hard, I have friends who've never ridden a bike before ride in Asia.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Vietnam motorbike tours are with guides I just want to ride on my own at my own pace get lost and explore things I wouldn't normally see.

Bjpitt - I think you are right I seem to be over complicating this situation lol and yes when I think about the people that have never ridden but ride in Vietnam how hard can it be as long as your cautious and be as safe as you possibly can then you should be fine.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Chillbutton - when you say 8kw shivers what exactly you mean? sorry I know nothing about motorbikes lol

I come here to learn :)
  18. I meant this bit:

I agree with bjpitt, the skills will transfer.

Get an old GS500 or something. Cheap - that's why I've got one :)