Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best bike mag??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by blacknblue, Dec 10, 2008.

1. If one was to purchase a bike mag, which 1 of many available should one chose, with perhaps a subscription being the end result? Great tech (for my guy), great pics (for me - hehe!), great articles, etc. We're a road-bike/sport tourer household, so any suggestions for the above would be welcome :)

2. i havnt really looked around much but 'Two Wheels' is pretty good and its Australian so you dont have to convert pounds to dollars etc hehe it sometimes even has pretty covers with colours :shock:

Also 'Rapid Bikes' is good also
  3. Australian Road Rider
    get it now
  4. It depends on what you are looking for.
    I personally am not particularly impressed with either of the mags I have subscriptions to, but they are different audiences. Two Wheels is very much what the industry is feeding you, a couple of reviews and shootouts of the latest litre bikes, that sort of thing. Rapid has more about custom bikes, who has the biggest Turbo Bussa, that sort of thing. So if you want stuff with people doing weird stuff to bikes that is a better bet.
    As I said I am not that impressed with either. I think Rapid is just not the sort of mag for me, and most of what is in Two Wheels I can get on the internet before the print is dry on the Mag.
  5. If you don't mind a foreign mag, then Bike is by far the best I've come across.

The articles are very informative and in-depth, even going so far as to give power-band graphs and all that techie stuff (which I normally gloss over I have to admit).

They also have quite amusing challenges (think Top Gear but actual real world situations instead of rally-driving-supercars). Like getting six different 125s and seeing who's the quickest over a 200km ride, or seeing who can get the furthest on a tank of fuel. Good amusing reads if you're into that sort of thing.

Adverts are useless though as they're all for British suppliers.
  6. can spend hours in the dunny with a Just Bikes.
  7. AMCN, Rapid. Two Wheels is for old men with elbow-patches on their tweed coats.
  8. AMCN.

I never really liked Two Wheels but I after the Monster 696 beat the Street Triple in their BOTY issue I swore I'd never buy another issue. :LOL:
  9. I like rapid, that reminds me I need to renew my subscription. Won 6 months subscription through insure my ride, was great.

Also, I've only had one australian road rider mag, but thought it was very good, more about getting out there, good roads, attractions, tour guide type stuff, etc. I'd guess road rider would be your best bet.
  10. Whenever I am round at Pnuts place I read his copy of Fast Bikes...great UK mag, plenty of road and gear tests and info to help you become a better rider...I also read AMCN but it's nowhere near as good!
  11. so what are some good aussie and abroad websites for all 2 wheel news??
  12. Honestly the UK magazines kick ass!
    I love PB and Fast Bikes.
  13. Most Pommie mags could be called "wheelstand and highside news"
  14. +1

but my only gripe is that it only comes out bi-monthly, so I usually pick up Australian Motorcycle News if I'm looking for some in between issues reading.
  15. In my opinion AMCN and 2wheels is best with Australian road rider by far the worse. Their reviews typically consist of the para-phrasing adverts to even typos on the front cover. My one and only issue had Honda spelt "Hona".
  16. Two Wheels and Australian Road Rider for me. With a CBR600 and a V-Strom in the garage these two mags cover off on most things I'm interested in. Quality varies but they are both still worth a read.

Oh, and ARR had a full page speil a while back pulling the piss out of a notable former netrider who departed in a blaze of stupidity and backstabbing. Almost framed that one.
  17. Have to agree with you on this one. I normally get Two Wheels as it seemed to be the pick of the general bike mags. My local newsagent just started selling 'Bike' mag and I bought the issue you mentioned above and was very impressed. Has a good mix of bikes and article styles, great pics and is very well written. It will now be my regular mag and I will get Twowheels if it has something of particular interest in it.

18. If you want to keep up with the latest bike racing news, go for Australian Motorcycle News...If you are more into touring and getting out and about, go for Australian Road Rider & Two Wheels....