Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best bike for the wet?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by theadz, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Hey folks,

I've just moved to Melbourne from Brisbane and had to leave my VFR750 behind. I've been working here a week and already I'm not coping with the bus into the city and will be getting myself a bike quick smart. I was wondering though, what type or model of bike copes with the Melbourne city wet better? To be honest I'm nervous about tackling the wet and trams and traffic jams everyday but it has to be so much better than sitting on a bus going nowhere.

Sports bike or Cruiser? 600? or 1100?

2. search for tram track crossing, provided you cross them correctly you'll have no problem
  3. Welcome to Netrider, Adam :).

I might leave it to the Melbournites to answer your question :wink:.
  4. No need to worry, it doesnt rain in Melbourne anymore!

Those tram tracks can be dangerous, went down once braking on a wet track, very slippery!!

Just watch how you cross them, stay off them if you can, and cross them quickly at an angle when you need to,

The VFR is as good a bike in the wet as most
  5. You learn to live with tram tracks. In the wet they as slippery as ice, but if you approach them correctly they are not a big deal. Attack them as obliquely as possible ie. as close to a 90 degree angle as possible, and as far away from parallel as possible. If you have to change lanes over then, do it in one purposeful movement, on a steady throttle. If it's wet, you will feel yourself slip momentarily, but you will immediately regain grip as soon as you are back on the bitumen.
    Having nice wide tyres is a help here, as you are less likely to fall into the rut of the track.
    A peaky power delivery is not going to help much, either. You're bettter with a motor that will slog happily (and smoothly) at lower revs in these circumstances. The better traction a V-twin gives can be a help, too.
    I tend to dislike the weight distribution of sportsbikes for wet weather, but others prefer having more weight over the front.
    Considered a dual-purpose with decent road tyres?
  6. Oh please, are you serious?? Brissy gets torential pissing rain that we would never get down here, if you rode in that our weather is a breeze

having said that welcome.

Seriously get something thats not to tall for you, GOOD tyres, when possible cross tram tracks at 90 degrees.

Why did u leave the Viffer behind? perfect bike for Melb or anywhere else.

and remember:

taxi drivers are bastards, avoid tham at all costs.
    watch out on roads after a long dry spell.
    roundabouts are the devils work.
  7. RE: Bikes - another vfr is always a safe bet.

Personally I prefer sports touring bikes (a la vfr) as they are small enough to fit through gaps where appropriate, and because you sit a bit higher you have more visibility in front of you. I also prefer the mid-bore bikes (600-800's), but it is really a personal preference.

And as everyone has said - tram tracks are only a hazard when you are riding parallel with them and try to cross (not really an issue in the dry, just the wet / damp). So just be careful on those few times. And, once you get comfortable with Melbourne you may end up doing what I have done - finding a slightly longer but more bike friendly route (I am going an extra 1 km each way simply to avoid any tram tracks).
  8. Commuting every day can make your bike ratty in not too long a period if you aren't careful, so something not too exxy would be my choice for commuting, and keep the real bike for the weekends.
  9. Thanks all for the help.

In Brisb, I walked to and from work so the VFR only came out to play and I was only caught in the rain craziness a couple of times.
    I had to move heaps quick so I sold it to a mate who has had his eye on it for a long, long time. It was the '96 model and I reckon it was just a smidge too high for me so maybe a cheap 600 with good thick tires?

You've made a good point ZRX1200R, I hadn't thought of that. I was leaning towards a Vstar 1100 but will look for something more practical for the day to day.

Thanks for the tips about the tram tracks, the whole 'as close to 90 degrees' thing totally makes sense.
  10. ZX9r :grin:
  11. I use a maxi scoot for commuting. No bike even comes close for convenience, comfort, economy, storage, splitting capability, and weather protection. Plus it saves wear and tear on my Beemer and Duke. Something like an old Honda Spacey 250 shouldn't be too exxy....
  12. Get a Honda Scoopy............ :twisted:
  13. If its only for commuting, get a 600 chooky.
    Couriers cant be wrong and taxi drivers dont care what you're on! \:D/
  14. Sorry dude, what's a chooky?
  15. Anything with a fairing will keep you dry in the wet, but honestly we don't get that much rain anymore. Global warming and all that.
  16. XR, XL, XT, TT, KLX etc

EDIT: Forgot the Suzuki bikes!
  17. Chooky, chook chaser, trail bike