Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best Bike For Me As A Beginner - Lams

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by pirro, Nov 6, 2012.

1. I know this has been asked before but after advice specific to my needs. I got my license last week through QRide. I did really well and gained a lot of confidence, but unfortunately I had a fall doing a U-Turn in a quiet street. Ended up flat on my back on the grass footpath. Got some sore ribs now. Stupid me was looking straight ahead and not where I wanted the bike to go. Ended up hitting the gutter and managed to hit the accelerator instead of braking. So pi$$ed off with myself after such a good day. My nerves were shot after that and any confidence I gained went out the window. I had never ridden a bike before the QRide course. Any way despite that I did get my license so happy about that. I was riding a little Honda CB125e on the course.

So I'm after opinions on a suitable first bike for me. My budget is around $4k. I've been looking at the following:
    Honda CBR250R
    Honda VTR250
    Honda CBF250
    Ninja 250R
    GPX250 (ZZR250)

I'm not mechanically minded at all so need something easy to maintain and as new as possible. My current thoughts are that I don't intend on replacing it once I'm on my opens so something that will last beyond the one year on my RE license.

I'm small build. 173cm tall and around 72kg. Mostly around town driving although it would be nice to not restrict myself to only around town (eg. Going for long rides with a couple mates from time to time)

So after advice on what I should go for? I'm open to suggestions it doesnt have to be what I've listed above. I'm shocked at how expensive secondhand LAMS bikes are.

Thanks in advance
  2. Any of those will be fine. Just pick the one that suits you the best ;)
    (There's a reason the CBF wasn't sold here for very long).
  3. You will get a good GPX250 for $3000 but you will get as many opinions as there are people on here.
    Ride and sit on as many as you can and don't fall off again, that's an order, got it?
  4. Got it :)

So what's the reasoning for the CBF not being around for long in Aus?
  5. Underpowered, overpriced and shit build quality (it was made in Brazil).

The earlier CB250 would be a much better option if that's the way you want to go. Still very much underpowered and cheaply built - but at least built well.
  6. Answered in their own marketing: 'it's a Honda' (y)

Seriously though, if you're genuinely wanting something to hold onto for four years, it could be worth considering some of the larger LAMS bikes. 400's and what not.
  7. Yeah not so keen on the CB250. Just looks cheap (almost like a postie bike)
  8. There should be a sticky for this.
    Q: what first bike?
    A: always GPX
  9. I've got a ninja 250 and love it :) with the 300 coming out, the price of the 250's have started to drop
  10. So is the CBR250R not better value than the older bikes? Being fuel injected and only a year or so old?
  11. #11 jd, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Not really. It might be fuel injected but it's still a single cylinder compared with the parallel twin or v-twin of the other bikes you've listed.

Singles are good for very low speed urban streets - but out on the highway or riding fast on a good road the more cylinders the better (for a given capacity). This is why the old 4-cylinder 250s are still relatively popular, despite being in some cases more than 20 years old. Again it comes down to what best suits you - if highway riding is important then I'd go for a GPX or Ninja over the CBR or VTR (the screen and fairings are also a handy thing to have on the open road)
  12. Hi there pirro, I have a cbr250r 2011. It's been a great learner bike for me, I had never ridden before. There is more than enough power there even though it is only a single cylinder. I am about 170cm and about 70kg's and on the freeway I had it up to 130 and could have gone quicker. It certainly isn't a power house but easy to ride and fun. If you have any question send me a pm:)(y).
  13. Don't knock the CB250! Might not be the 'coolest' looking bike on the road but it's cheap, can take a hiding and you're not going to worry as much if you happen to drop it again!

I'd buy a cheapie to learn on first and then go after the cooler options once you're competent. You can get a decent one for well under 2G's.