Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best bike for a project with a profit in the end?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Rallye, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Hi there,

Soon enough Ill be on school holidays and I dont want to be stuck in front of the computer 24/7. So Im contemplating buying a bike (under $1500) that needs abit of TLC and selling it on hopefully with a decent profit.

What do you guys think? What bikes the best? I dont want a bare shell or anything, just minor things like fairings, oil leaks etc.

Ive been looking at CBR250RR's like this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-cbr250rr-/270862436911?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item3f10a8ca2f

But too far from Sydney :(
  2. Many started
    Few finished
    Very few of the few finished make a profit.
    All depends on your ability and nouse scouring the wreckers for the good parts at the right price.
    It can be done and I know few who make a living out of it.
    It is like rolling the dice though.
  3. forget doing anything faired,
  4. What do you mean? Why?
  5. Nah i reakon you are on the right track with the cbr, although i would look for something not running. You could search for not running in the free text field. Fairing are expensive to get fixed but you could get dodgy ebay fairings and most learners couldnt tell (oh i am going to get flamed for that).

But i wouldnt expect to get rich from this exercise.
  6. I personally would go for something locally delivered with plenty of spares. (or the ability to pick two bike of the same model within budget.

I would personally start with something boring that people would want to use as a commuter bike.

Just my 2c but it worked for me with my Gt250r hyosung and a Cb250. Not exciting bikes but plenty of cheap parts around and when broken worth next to nothing.

Also remember that buying and selling vehicles for profit is illegal and probably not something to advertise on a public forum. Different laws in different states NSW from memory was 5 vehicles in a year whereas queensland is if your deemed to be 'in the business of buying and selling"
  7. as vc said, fairings are expensive,
    my project bike is an 86 xr250. so far ive spent over $500 on plastics....... its a dirt bike.
    im a parts interpreter and spend all day chasing bike parts. and fairings are up there as the most expensive parts on a bike. thats without adding in the decals.
  8. Here you go mate, i picked this up for $150 as is (carbs not shown), half a day of tinkering & she fired right up. All lights etc work, so i could sell this for a nice profit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. buy something without a deus badge on it, put a deus badge on it = 100 times return on investment

as per the above i suggest a naked of some sorts, perhaps a ducati monster or the like
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Can I have it?
  11. Sorry mate not for sale.
  12. if it was me. id be looking at a cb250,
    simple, easy, parts and hopefully easy to sell. plus you wont get attatched to it.............
  13. As other's have said, the enterprise of doing something up to make money is fraught. Generally it's cheaper to buy a restored bike than to restore one.

However, if you really want to give it a go, I'd suggest you aim to offer a RWC for the thing.

The reason for that suggestion is my other suggestion: aim for something that you can sell to a learner. It never ceases to amaze me how much money a lot of people will burn on their learner bikes. If you can make the purchase seem very safe to them then you've doubled your saleability in that market, and learners especially want to just hand over some documents and ride away.

If it were me I'd follow the suggestions of others: get something like a CB250, maybe one that's ratty but sound. Then do some fashionable build using the cheapest parts you can find (I'm not talking about dangerous, of course). Look on eBay international listings, whether it's $50 clip ons from Taiwan for a cafe racer, or whatever. Then you might make a profit, or you might not. Keep in mind that the parts you use have to pass a RWC.
  14. Doing up bikes for a profit?

Forget it unless you are very well connected in the trade.

If you really must give it a go, look for cosmetically OK non-runners. Anything that needs paint will be big dollars to sort unless you're a whizz with the spray-gun yourself. Cheap paint jobs just scream bodgy rebuild to anyone with half a clue.

Try older air-cooled Suzuki fours with charging problems. The fix is generally relatively simple but, for some reason, many folk fight shy of electrics.
  15. That's the first thing I thought as well...

Although good on ya for wanting to get out of the house and into the garage to learn a bit. You're lucky that you've got the space for it!

Don't forget to factor in the cost of very basic tools just to get you started (a decent spanner/ratchet set, trays and rags for oil/fluid checks and changes).

I've been doing VEEEEERRRRYYYYY basic stuff on a VTR250 and it is so satisfying and very fun! Although I've been blessed to have chats and get directions from lots of mates who actually know what they're talking about (the manual that I downloaded for it was next to useless with helping me out).

Even if you don't sell it for a profit, you'll still learn heaps and have lots of fun.. and it will keep you out of trouble. ;) Just don't get your hands on a credit card or you'll end up with all sorts of extra bits and parts sitting around that you'll never use!
  16. I do a lot of tinkering and fixing stuff, but more to save money than make it. In terms of dollars earnt vs time spent, you'd be far better off getting a job at the local Maccas unless as others have said you have connections in the trade.