Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best Bike Book in the World…Ever?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by DeeCubed, Jul 14, 2008.

1. I’m looking for something new to read and I know Morbo is as well. What would you recommend as the best bike book ever? One of these: Code’s Twist of the Wrist 2? Ienatsch’s Sports Riding Techniques? Pridmore’s Smooth Riding? Peart’s Ghostrider? (threw that in for Snow Dog :LOL: ), Rossi’s What if I Had Never Tried It?...or something else?

What’s your “Best Bike Book in the World Ever’?

2. TOTW2 is the best I've read. Pretty technical but some real gems in there.
  3. Three that I read time and time again almost every night are:

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well
    More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride
    A Twist of the Wrist II << out of my practical ability, but nevertheless an excellent source.

Oh and at times .. Bikes & Babes :oops:
  4. If you've any kind of historical bent, I'd thoroughly recommend anything by Ixion (the nom de plume of the Rev Basil H Davies), who was a preeminent motorcycling journo from the early pioneer days to the 1950s.

Also The Land Beyond the Ridge by Roy Battson, an account of his riding from the end of WW1 to about 1970. His description of the events surrounding his acetylene generator exploding got me thrown out of my local library because I was laughing so much :grin: . Sadly out of print, and the last copy I saw on Amazon was getting on for $200, but you never know.

Incidentally, if anyone does have a copy of TLBTR, they would not find me ungrateful for a scan or a photocopy :wink: .
  5. For riding technique I like

Ienatsch’s Sports Riding Techniques?
    Lee Parks Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques
    Andy Ibbott Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills

the last one is very track focused but the cornering and line choice chapters are great.

Lee Parks is the best for short term improvement. The others are longer term things that you can read over and over.
  6. There is a book called "The art and Science of Motorcycle Road Racing" which is a fine read.
  7. I read his Reminiscences of Motor Cycling recently - there's a link to it somewhere in this forum - published C.1920 for the young riders to so they could know what it was like in the early days! A very entertaining read; the days of no petrol stations, and when you wold hire a mechanic (if you could call him that) to ride his bicycle alongside you to deal with the constant breakdowns.

My favourite book is Johnny Stewart's "Rockers!".

Somebody posted a link a while bike, with a number of these technique books available free in pdf.
  8. I've tried to read TOTW2 a few times. I have to say, though I got some good stuff out of it, I find it pretty jarring to read.

I think half of it is the glossary that for some reason goes out of its way to define words like "grim", "reactions", "factor" ... WTF? Is the reader demographic really that uneducated? It irks me, anyway.

Still, I'll read it again soon. Don't think I've mined it out yet.
  9. Agree TOTW2 is an effort to read. I liked the theory in spite of that. Interesting what riders thought was correct technique up until the end of the 50s.

Across America By Motor-Cycle, C. K. Sheperd, published 1922 is an account of a 5000 mile ride east to west across the USA in 1919, a journey that took three months. They made 'em tough in those days. It was available somewhere for download...

[edit] download here -> http://www.archive.org/details/acrossamerica00sheprich

I've ordered a copy of "Stayin' Safe : The Art and Science of Riding Really Well" by Lawrence Grodsky (published June 2008). Bookpedia reckon it will take another week or two for the publisher to deliver stock.
  10. Pat Hahn's Ride Hard Ride Smart's gotta be in there eh?
  11. lois on the loose - lois pryce

Mondo enduro - austin vice

Totally mind blowing!
  12. Any one able to post/pm the links to the downloads? Have found totw2, but no others.
  13. I've read Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist II" and Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques".

It's always good to get as many approaches as possible, as everyone focuses on different aspects and their language and articulation will always reveal different things.

However, for me, Keith articulates riding techniques with increadible clarity. He has identified a whole range of core issues and presents them in such a way that just clicks with my experience.

He bases his approach on the reality that Survival Responses will undermine your riding, your efforts to develop good technique and your efforts to ride safely.

The development of skill and good technique will always be inhibited by our own blocks, in anything we do. Identifying and understanding them is the key to overcoming them and this is how Keith approaches training.

I've read his book and am about to start again. He definately has a gift for imparting true understanding, the kind you can internalise quickly and begin to use to make excellent progress.
  14. The Lee Parks one's not a bad one to keep in the dunny.
  15. That's no way to treat a book. Why don't you buy a bogroll like we do.
  16. I gotta admit I like perusing goodmotorcycles.com for tidbits on bikes when I'm bored, especially the numerous owner reviews...some hilarious stuff in there!

Other than that I got my Dad a book called something like 'Encyclopaedia of World Motorcycles' for his b'day once and had a gander at it myself from time to time. Excellent make history or pretty much anything, pictured throughout, good for checking out obscure makes and models as well as a good look at all the great bikes of the past.
  17. I have Keith Code's "A Twist of the Wrist I & II" and find it really boring and hard to read.

On the other hand, I find Nick Ienatsch's "Sport Riding Techniques" a brilliant and easy read.
  18. anyone able to pm me a link to d/l these? :eek:
  19. Do you mean downloading e-books or a link like Amazon to get a hard copy?

20. e-book would be best - I actually went into a few stores looking for TOTW2 etc on sunday but dymocks were charging close to $50.. im not sure if i feel like paying that for a book