Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Best all round bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Krollinator, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Alright, so, I've got a fair while until I can upgrade my motorbike, and this topic is an opinionated one. I'm looking for peoples opinions on what they believe the best all-round bike is. I know that no-one can make this decision for me, as in the end it's what I like and what I believe I want, but I always like to hear others' opinions on the topic.

What do I mean by all around? I mean something that ticks off as many categories as it can. Eg; commuting, the twisties, touring, acceleration, stunt capability (basic), track.

I am just wondering because I will want to upgrade to a bike that I can have as a commuter but won't lack in the twisties, but that I can also spend 10 hours riding and not die.

And then what sort of capacity I would be looking at for those sorts of things. If people had any opinions they would like to share, I would be more than happy to hear / converse about them! I just want to make the most informed decision I can about my next bike.

So, what's YOUR opinion on the best all round bike?
  2. have'nt found it yet
  3. Not even anything that covered two of those few things? :( Nothing even close?

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you had a list of bikes you were going to test ride in order to make your decision, I think the Street Triple would makes sense on the list.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. im struggling with this also now its time to upgrade

need something to commute but also have fun on for around $7-9k

cant decide between
    supersport gsxr750 or daytona 675 - not the most comfortable, too much power to use on the road but looks great and can be used for trackdays etc, will probably lose license speeding

motard drz400sm - wheelie, stoppie, twisties, commuting would be heaps of fun, not sure if enough power and freeway capability though

naked street triple, z750, z1000, cb1000r, fz1N, fz8N, ktm 990 superduke - more comfortable, has the power but not tuned like a sportbike, less likely to lose license

any other options im missing?
  6. It depends on what 'all round' means to you... but here's what motorcyclist magazine said about their 2011 bike of the year:

It's worth taking a look at the ninja 1000 even if only to understand what it means to make compromises on a bike with the goal of jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. Because that's exactly what they set out to make with this bike, and they've nailed it. It's not quite as sporty as a sportbike, not quite as comfy as a dedicated tourer, not quite as small (or economical) as a little commuter, and it's nowhere near as confidence inspiring on dirt roads as an adventure bike. But it does them all and apart from the dirt, puts a massive grin on my face in the process. I own one, and I love it. So take a look at one and figure out if a jack of all trades bike is really what you want, coz if the answer is no, then that should help you figure out what you're really looking for.

7. what made you sell your z750 for this?
  8. Most of these bikes will get you into trouble just as quick as supersports.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lol. I dare you to ride a Superduke and tell me you're "less likely to lose license". That bike is evil... in a good way :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It is not possible to be the jack of all trades while also being the best at all of them.

Any bike that touts itself as being the best all rounder WILL be compromised in some areas, you cannot have your cake and eat it too essentially.

Its better to buy multiple bikes for different purposes than buy one bike that is crap at all of them.
    • Like Like x 1

11. I was going to say, any bike can get you in trouble for speeding, VERY easily. Especially in this country. You'll need to learn self control to keep riding in this country, or budget for a lot of track days!

I think the main thing I'm looking for is mountain capability, commuting and long distance riding. I'll be travelling around Australia in the time that I own the bike, and I will also be doing a shit-tonne of commuting, plus the twisties are what I consider fun (FREE FUN!).

But I have always been told that litre bikes are way too powerful for commuting?

And Unconnected, I completely understand that. There is no jack-of-all-trades in biking, as it's just not possible to be the best at everything... But I'm looking at something that tackles those three main things, commuting, twisties and long distance and does them all pretty well - If that's possible. Which is what I'm trying to determine with this thread. :)
  12. haha true my bad just meant the less aggressive riding position makes them seem more sensible but that being said i havent test ridden them yet
  13. 2 things.

1st, I'm a heavy bloke - 125kgs + gear. The Z750 had all the power I *needed*, but I found I was accelerating without grinning like a madman, and for me that was half the fun.

2nd, I decided that I wanted ABS while I sorted out a bad rear brake pedal mashing problem when panic-braking. Had a couple of times where I locked up the rear on the Z when approaching a corner too hot, and instead of slowing and tightening the line, found the rear going sideways instead.

The fault was with the rider, not the bike, I loved the Z. But it has the weight of a litre bike with a 750cc engine; put a fat bastard on top of it and it was behind the eight ball to begin with. Combine that with deciding ABS would help me survive one particular (otherwise life endangering) problem while I come to grips with improving my technique, that was enough to make me switch.
  14. it has'nt really quite been invented yet.

some well know bikes have come close. viffers and sv6fiddy to state obvious ones.
    some of the above mentioned, but a naked bike is a compromise on a racetrack.
    plus i'm not voting for a litre inline 4, though the ninja is very nice.

i think you need to find the bike that comes closest for you and then make the neccessary changes to the bike to suit your needs.
  15. Viffers as in the VFR? I have heard about them quite a bit.

Track is low on the list at the current point in time.

Of course! But there is no harm in getting other peoples' opinions before I decide on my own :)
  16. the triumph tiger 800 version in the more street oriented version with the lower seat height, smaller rims.

that's getting pretty damm close to the perfect can do all
  17. the street triple r, man everyone should ride it at least once in their life. My brother has one and oh my god it's an awesome bike.

But safer for the license? don't you believe it! It's got a bio-electrical field built into the seat that once you make it over about 2,500rpm causes your balls to start flooding your system with testosterone and you find yourself riding like you're the lovechild of evil kenevil and god.

I can just outpace my brother from a standing start, and that's only because he hits his rev limiter before I do. Personally I couldn't ride one all day every day, just too damn hot under the seat for my tastes. But oh my god what a bike.
  18. My brother was scraping the pegs around roundabouts, and he wasn't riding particularly hard. I think it would depend on your riding style whether this one would suit.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. there's no such thing as the true 'all-round' bike; that's why blokes who've got the cash have a garage full of several different bikes for different riding needs..

but you can go close

you want

1. a comfortable seat; you may do 100kms a day on average, but you'll curse the seat if you decide to do a 600km day on your holidays and arrive crippled with pain
    2. good torque; it's fun playing tunes with the gearbox at 13,000rpm on the race track, but it gets tiring on the road
    3. as light weight as possible; the engine has to shift that weight and that uses power and fuel. The heavier the weight, the more work the engine has to do and the more fuel it will cost you
    4. if you buy a naked bike, you should still buy a small bar-mounted screen; you don't realise how much you will appreciate NOT having the wind blasting on your chest

then again forget all that an buy a VFR :LOL:
  20. I don't think that's true (anymore). Some litres have very user friendly power bands and torque, like the ninja / Z1000.

Others have selectable power maps, allowing you to take the punch out of the accelerator - especially useful in the wet I'm told.

Personally I couldn't handle the ergonomics of something like a ZX-10 for commuting. I'm on the bike 60+ minutes each way, and the tuck just doesn't work for me for that long. But I wouldn't rule out any bike until you've at least sat on it.