Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bent my oversized bar

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by jimmyv, Oct 1, 2009.

1. I carefully and gently skidded my triple into the ground the other day :censored:

Looks like my aluminum bars are a little bent as a result.

Do aluminum bars bend or break easily? Are they likely to crack if I keep riding around with the bars slightly bent
  2. My brothers Chinese dirtbike had as similar problem. To fix it, just slide a pole over the end of the bar and use the leverage to bend the bar to your hearts content.
    Its very easy.

And yes, aluminium does weaken when its bent frequently. But unless you drop it again, its unlikely to get any weaker.
  3. Do not straighten your bars. Ride with them bent until you replace them. You may get them straight but then the next drop might be a broken bar rather than a bent bar, and that = a lot more damage to the rest of the bike. Not to mention if you have one break off in your hand, which can and has happened.
  4. A set of aftermarket bars will set you back less than a hundred bucks. That's what I'd be doing!
  5. I remember watching Mick Bubb racing a ZXR 750 @ Phillip Island coming into Honda corner snapping the right handlebar he had straightened. He couldn't let the brakes off & binned it!
  6. That has got to be one of the worst feelings ever... I can only imagine what went through the guys mind as it happened
  7. It's possible you could straighten it with no problem, but aluminium fatigues easily and if you straighten it, its now been bent twice. The risk of it breaking off later is not worth it, I'd ride it with the slightly bent bar until you can afford a new one.