Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Bent gearshift lever

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Minority153, May 22, 2015.

1. Okay, so I'm a noobie. I've had a good number of falls, some resulting in a bent gearshift lever, but that was okay, because I was always a block within home, and my hubs could fix it.

But my friend, she had a fall at a roundabout and bent her gearshift lever so that she couldn't downshift anymore. So now she's just left the bike in a side street and gone home because she can't ride it back.

But it got me wondering. Obviously, removing the gearshift lever and using a rubber mallet is the best method to straighten/unbend it, but what if you're stuck on the side of the road? Surely the answer can't always be to ditch it and come back with reinforcements?

So is there a way to unbend the gearshift lever without removing it? And what tools would you always carry around on your bike to ensure you can fix it yourself, then and there?

Hope the question makes sense.

Thanks in advance. :)
  2. Always worth carrying a few tools to motivate parts.
    Carrying two large solid shifting spanner is a good idea to unbend brake/gear levers as well as adjust chains etc. You can tighten it onto the part and lever it back into shape.

Alternatively if you can force the bike into second gear, that will get you home if you take back streets. If you have the original toolkit, that will have everything you need to take the fairings/tank off, but are not strong enough to bend things back into shape.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You CAN bend a bent lever back into position on the side of the road (short piece of pipe, or large spanner, etc) but it's best to do it properly when you get home by removing it and getting it in a vice. That way you're not also putting stress on the seals and bearings in the engine case....
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yes a ring spanner that will fit over the end of the lever will often give you enough leverage. Otherwise the 2nd gear run home or to a mechanic as suggested.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I guess you can also add a spare gear lever to your field toolkit...
  6. The risk is also that in attempting to straighten you could snap the lever. So I would only attempt a straighten if you needed to to change gears and then I would only bend te minimum required to do this just in case. Once home you can bend to your hearts content and if it snaps not such a drama.

Ad cjvfr said often slipping a ring spanner over the end of the lever can help you straighten it. In my tool kit I also have an extension tube designed to go over the wheel nut spanner to give extra leverage. If you can incorporate that onto the end of the spanner you will get a longer lever and extra leverage.

Removal of gear lever is pretty simple though and may be a better option depending on how bent things are. And something like multigrips can be used to change gear into a suitable gear to ride home in. Need to be careful here though so as not to damage the splines.
  7. Thanks for the replies guys.

Is there any chance you can post up pictures of the tools you're referring to? I'm not all that great on mechanical jargon. :-S
  8. That will definitely cost you
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I'd suggest carrying a spare lever so it can be put on and the bent lever straightened once home if you must keep dropping your bike.

Better still I'd suggest not bending levers by avoiding any challenging riding until you have the skills not to drop the bike, even with beginner riders bikes falling over should be an unlikely event.
  11. ItIt's mainly my stopping. I really need to practice that. But my actual riding seems pretty good. So stopping and maneuvering the bike without the engine on. :-/