Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bent Disc :-(

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by ChrisBurke, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Can anyone recommend where in Melb I should go to have a brake rotor straightened?

Its on a damaged rim at the moment, but figure itd be easier to straighten on the old rim, before fitting it to the new one.

Any ideas?

2. how bent is it??? Are you talking about run out or is there an actual bend??in the disc?
  3. Awesome Discs Ringwood
    Planet Disc ? Knox (Planet Engineering)
    Runout to BENT, short of folded like a pancake they can do the lot.
  4. Any contact details for the above?
  5. You are serious yes?
    I personally would buy a new s/hand disk that is if it is bent or warped by more than 15mm depending on the degree.
    i ahve yet to see one repaired to new condition, i wouldnt risk it.
  6. I have seen a pair on a GSX-R 600 repaired to perfect condition so Im confident it can be done...

I was just wanting to know if anyone could recommend where to go in Melb.

I know that a knew one retails for around the $390 mark, and havent found a good second hand one yet.
  7. Always wondered .. whats the actual difference?
  8. Runout= warping (overheating, often when the disc gets too thin) or SMALL bent after getting knocked in a drop

Bent= boy, seen some beauties... say, bent by more than 4-8mm? (depending on fixed or floater and diameter of disc)
  9. either google or white/ yellow pages?
  10. I googled, and used the white pages, but couldnt find anything about Planet disc (or eng).

These are the quotes I have so far (nonfloating/floating):

Awesome Discs Ringwood: $77/$92
    Motor Bits Elizabeth St : ~$80 (hes not sure)
    Bob Martin Ferntree Gully: $40/$55

Now I just have to work out how Im gonna get to Ferntree Gully :)
  11. Are those quotes with the disc on or off the bike? I gather it's per disc?
  12. A little OT but can someone explain the diff between a full floating, semi floating and non floating disk? As I understand it is how the disk caliper is mounted on the forks?
  13. Those quote are per disc, and some need them rim, and some didnt.
  14. Don't know the real diff between a full and semi floater...
    Non-floater is a fixed-disk, the disc is ONE-PIECE and bolted to the hub/spokes of the wheel (depending on type of wheel).
    A floating disc has a "core-piece" aka center aka carrier which is the central piece bolted to the hub/spokes of the wheel.
    The rotor (part where the brake-pads touch/ grab on to) is attached to the carrier via rivets to allow a certain amount of "movement".
    When pushing the bike forward and grabbing the lever hard, it often results in a slight clunking noise.

Why the difference?
    Rotor material is generally cast or stainless steel. Wide rims have the brakedisk and calipers 'inserted" (as in inside/ semi-inside the rim) whereas the older, narrow rimmed/ tyred wheels had the rotors/ calipers mounted "beside" the wheel.
    To allow for the wider rims/ tyres, the disc had to be "dished" to accomodate that and that required lots of heavy material bolted to the rim...both sides. A lightweight carrier of aluminium was the answer to that problem (reducing unsprung weight), which was also cheaper to produce. The rotor-ring then gets rivetted to the carrier.
  15. Max/ Planet Disk factory 4/6 Woodbine Crt/ Wantirna/ 9801-7067
    He's a bit of a grump sometimes, but a GOOD trady (father of the guy who runs Awesome Discs
  16. Done now... Im getting the freshly straightened disc back forom Bob Martin tomorrow.

They were excellent to deal with, and I will be sending them a rim to work on from a diff project next week.

17. Run out can also be required in some (older) disk brake systems. These use the runout to "knock" the pistons back into the caliper (not often seen on bikes AFAIK) to give the correct clearnace as so prevent dragging. You will feel a slight pulsing if you had this type. These days it's more often square section seals and/or floating calipers that ensure a running clearance.

If it is a requirement for the system, then runout will usually consist of a slight difference in thickness across diameter of the disk.

Otherwise runout is a description for any "running out of true" as glitch_oz says above.

18. If they quit on the rim (as they quite often do), sent me a pm, there's an excellent guy around Sydney), most trade is sending their stuff there.