Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bending front sprocket washer

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by raging, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Hi, just about finished replacing chain and sprockets on the street triple. What's the secret sauce/tips for bending the front sprocket washer out to hold the nut?

The front sprocket has a rubber ring that the washer is resting against so it is tough to get a good bite onto the washer, plus I was scared of breaking something.

2. Try using a small cold chisel or largish screwdriver to get under the edge of the washer and start the bending, then finish off with a gentle hammer and flat ended punch (or the large screwdriver) against the very edge of the washer to fold it against a flat on the nut. Small blemishes on the rubber from this would have no negative effect.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for your help.

Got it sorted, I think initially I was being too frigid/gentle/scared to do damage.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There's a man who's done it! Exactly what I would have said. (I did it once on my Kawasaki 250 two-stroke triple, on the side of the Hume Highway between Benalla and Wodonga, using the bike toolkit screwdriver and a roadside rock!!)

5. Ha ha! Yes I have done it before, just not on the side of the Hume at night in the rain! I had the luxury of doing it my garage at home.

@raging@raging "Got it sorted, I think initially I was being too frigid/gentle/scared to do damage."

It all depends on the correct scientific and careful application of brute force.