Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bendigo WRBs

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Jun 22, 2005.

1. From the Geelong Advertiser - 20/6/2005

Bikers go down to the wire on safety
    Monday, 20 June 2005

BENDIGO motorcyclists are taking a stand against Calder Highway wire rope barriers, which they claim are dangerous "cheese graters" that are being installed too close to the road.

With more of the barriers being installed as part of the Calder Highway upgrade and winter weather creating hazardous road conditions, motorcyclists fear for their safety.

Earlier this month, Motorcycle Riders Association of Australia representatives met Victorian Transport Minister Peter Batchelor to discuss their concerns.

MRAA Victorian president Dale Maggs said that in new sections of the Calder, wire rope barriers have been placed too close to the road and steel posts and concrete footings left uncovered.

"We are concerned about the amount of wire rope barriers being erected in poor positions," he said.

"There is the risk that if a motorcyclist hit these barriers, he would instantly lose a limb or be decapitated."

Mr Maggs said it was also a concern that no adequate provisions had been made so that vehicles could pull off to the side of the road.

The MRAA has called for reflectors and covering to be installed on wire rope barriers, more roadside rest stops and greater distances between the barriers and the road.

Allies Motorcycle Club Bendigo liaison officer Graham Wizza said wire rope barriers were often referred to as cheese graters.

"If you hit one, you will be thrown off, but if you slide into it, I shudder to think," he said.

"Every motorcycle rider is concerned . . . they (wire barriers) are springing up everywhere."

Mr Wybar said it was disappointing that wire barriers were being installed without any consultation with motorcyclists, who were at the greatest risk.

"There are a huge amount of motorcycles registered in Central Victoria and we are probably the most eco-friendly form of transport," he said.

"Yet no one listens to us."

A member of Central Victorian Riders, Steve Hunter, said the barriers were among the greatest safety concerns of motorcyclists.

"They are classed as shredders," he said.

"We haven't got much around us for protection - if you hit them then that's it."

A spokeswoman for Mr Batchelor said wire rope barriers had been installed for safety reasons.

"Research is being undertaken to determine whether wire rope barriers can be made safer for motorcyclists," she said.

"In the interim, they will remain in place, because they are an important safety feature."
  2. Installed for safety reasons???? not riders safety obviously.

God and politicians work in mysterious ways, while we sometimes can get the gist of God's idea...politicians minds are beyond the ken of mortal man.
  3. It's not even the politicians - they work on advice from their Departments. Somewhere in VicRoads is an ignorant motorcycle hating cretin who thinks these things up. Ministers get complaints and the Department officers then get a copy and prepare a briefing to the Minister on this.

Do you really think the clowns that put these in are going to say "Sorry Minister - we screwed up and wasted millions on something that's going to kill people" when they do a briefing on the complaints.

The real issue is that the idiots who make these decisions do it unilaterally without consulting ALL those who have a stake in it.

All we can do is keep chipping away at it and eventually the political pressure becomes too great and something will happen. Every time a newspaper does an article like this the pressure keeps mounting. It's going to take a long time though (and unfortunately probably a couple of casualties before we get anywhere).

4. I'm afraid that it will take several riders lives lost before something is done about it. Although when (not if) someone comes to grief on one of these things, a nice collection of graphic photos sent into ACA or some other sensationalist media group would probably go a long way to upping the heat to do something about them.
  5. Unfortunately this can also read as:

Every time a motorcyclist get killed by a WRB the pressure keeps mounting. And then we get charged more for rego because motorcycles are gangerous and use to many resources to tend to crash victim .

I'm not cynical at all am I?
  6. You're definitely cultivating the right state of mind to be a motorcyclist Drew... :?
  7. My Dad's a rider and so are a few of his friends. I mightn't ride yet but i've had 28 year od exposure to the complaints and issues of cyclists.
  8. Research my arse. This is just a knee jerk reaction to try and placate the motorcycling community. Of course WRB can be made safer, it's the cost they aren't sure about.

What if this 'research' finds that it is not cost effective to make WRB's safer for motorcycles, or suggests that it would have been cheaper to use another option? Will they then take them all out & replace with something else? I doubt it.

It really annoys me that they blindly press ahead with their installation without having considered all road users in the first place. If they really were serious about protecting motorcyclists then this 'research' would have been considered from the outset, or at the very least they would have some contingency plan in place for if the 'research' concludes that WRB cannot be improved adequately for motorcyclists.

Annoyingly, there are alternatives that are 'motorcycle friendly'.
  9. Exactly what I was saying earlier - they are not likely to find that they made a mistake to start with. :? I don't believe that we'll ever be able to get them entirely removed and I suspect that the contract is for a designated number of kilometres to be installed (If VicRoads are like a lot of Departments they'll be trying to get the money spent quickly so they'll slam them in wherever they can do it now).

Probably the best long term result we'll get is to get a different barrier adopted for new installations and the worst instances of the current ones covered.

It won't happen soon though but it doesn't mean we shouldn't keep trying...

Writing your local member is a good way to keep up the pressure. It means the Department people have to respond to each individual query that comes from the local member to the Minister and creates a s*%tload of work for them. It also means that (usually) they can't get away with a series of form letters. Paricularly if each letter targets a slightly different area (installation costs, repair costs, dangers of posts, alternative types of barriers).

At least while they're doing those response they aren't screwing something else up :D (I've got your cynicism bug Drew :D )

10. Ah, I see that somebody has taken offence at something I have written (another minus :( ).

Now what could that be for, I wonder? Hmmmm, :-k
    Anyone got something to say? Somebody need some lovin' :wink:

It's the BM isn't it? Yeah I know, ya boonch o' jap ridin jessies :LOL:
  11. I don't know why they can't just install airfence, I don't pay a $50.00 levy for nothing, or then again...............
  12. I reckon the best barrier I have seen is the cyclone wire one installed in the southern NSW area.
    If a rider hit that, there is a continuous wire mesh to slow and slide along. The posts are behind the wire.
    Same if a care hit it. it would probably break the posts as do other barriers and cause a slowing effect as more post broke under pressure.
    Sure, they might not look too flash but something similar would be good.

I saw the Allies bloke on telly the other night talking about the wrbs.

Probably need the coroner to make the arseholes in teh Vic roads design department to wake up. The minister will then sack some bastard and wait until all cools down and leave everything as it is until the next time. That is how they work.
    They will say we dont have the meney and it will take time.

Piss heads, all of them.

13. I think it's catching! :)
  14. who cares what they look like, that sounds good, i know i would feel a lot more comfortable with something like that up in QLD, i think WRB is what we have, however our wires aren't very far apart, they are off the ground, i image it would be better then hitting a tree (apart from snapping of the spine), but the net sounds like a brilliant idea.
  15. There there,

I've just given you a plus to make up for it...
  16. Thanks Tony, it was like a stab to the heart, that minus. That one above all the others made me feel sad & unloved (I even blubbed, just a little). I shall now untie the rope and step down my chair.

Good deed reciprocated.
    Have a nice day. :D
  17. We Bavarian fanciers have to stick together
  18. Bavarian fanciers....haven't heard that in a while :)(dad's got a beemer) R1000 '92 model i think
  19. Just saw the pic of the group on mraa forum.....

even nicely shows how close to the road they are!!
  20. Don't take this the wrong way, but does anybody know of such statistics of motorcyclists being "cheese grated" on WRB? I've heard lots of stories that they "will" maim/incapacitate a biker, but does anybody know if there has been such an incident? I'm all against WRB, I'm just curious if there is any indicents being compiled out there.