Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(Benambra Corryong Rd) Road Advice [C545]

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Fewy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I am meeting friends at Khancoban and then heading to Lakes Entrance and then on to the Island for the SBKs for some r&r after a few turbulent months.
    Has anybody done the Benambra Corryong road?
    Just wanted to know if it is all tar and in reasonable condition.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Hi Fewy,

Road is about half dirt. Rode it from Sassafras Gap (half way along) down to Benambra on my Dakar, with old mate on his KTM 640, andy brother driving the full length from Corryong in a 4wd, my comment being that it was hard work (but it was a good expreience!)
    Late October when we rode it, it was very dry and dusty (no chance of overtaking a car), and fairly heavy with log trucks, although there has been a bit of rain up that way lately so that might have changed. I don't mean to scare you off, it is certainly do-able on a road bike, but prepare yourself, as it may well take a few hours to do the 150 odd K's.
    Hope this helps, speak up if you want any clarification.
    Cheers, Pete.
  3. Thanks Pirate,
    Thats exactly the info i was looking for.
    Will give it a miss and head down the Murray Valley Hwy (c543).
    Much appreciated.
    Also kudos to the Mod who edited my post with road number and google map. May the goods of speed look down favourably on you.
  4. Fewy,
    Not sure how much time you have to spend, and I cannot acccess google maps at work to do you up a map, but try Corryong, Tallangatta (B400), Kiewa, Tawonga (Mt Beauty)(C531). Over gap toward Bright(C536), Harrietville, Hotham, Omeo (B500).
    All sealed, not too much traffic, good straights and twisties, bit of everything.

Cheers, Pete. :)