Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ben Cousins Arrested, and on Drug Charges

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by doonx, Oct 16, 2007.

1. If guilty, his career is OVER, what an absolute GOOSE, no-one to blame but himself. If guilty get rid of him forever, he's trash.

2. Did you hear the latest drivel? Some liberal tosser was claiming it was the various club's faults, they had a "duty of care" , to look after these poor young kids. It's not their faults, it's the pressure of having a dream job and getting paid huge sums of money and being worshipped.........
    FFS, they are adults, they know what they are doing.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. that's a croc and no-one would swallow it. Same as saying that all employers are responsible for their employees 24/7
  4. Why?
  5. He is screwed I think, having drugs in the vehicle and refusing a drug test kind of implies guilt. I would be surprised if he was sober
  6. devotard - can you name 1 club that would touch him? The AFL have the power to de-register him, and WCE have already said he is on his last chance. If he is guilty, they will drop him like a bad joke, and IMHO if any other club express any interest in him, the AFL will shit-can him.

If he's guilty, he's a tossbag, a loser.

7. Drug cheat ( 2006 GF), drug addict and drug dealer. Good footballer, good riddance and goodbye.
  8. Refusing a drug or alcohol test under any circumstances doesn't look good..

But as Andrew said, when you give these young fellows untold amounts of money and they have endless amounts of time on their hands.....
  9. why? supply and demand, pure and simple.
  10. I hear charities are always looking for donations and volunteers :wink:
  11. Sounds like Mr Cousins might be looking for the local Centrelink Office first.
  12. I think he'll be looking for a bar of soap on the shower floor first :p
  13. My question was more geared towards WHY he should be out of the game.

If it were me, the ONLY reason I would fire him is because he's snubbing his nose at his contract. He's not doing what is asked of him.

I was just curious to yours, and everyone else's reasons as to WHY he should actually be gone.

Pete has used the term "drug cheat"... is that like banning someone for steroids? It'd be far fetched to say that he's a better footballer for all the drugs he has done.

If AFL wants a league full of drug free players so be it, that's their call. But us? What is it to us if he has breached his contract?
  14. Being famous, especially sport, brings on many followers (usually young'uns) and it brings a supposed role model line of thinking. Take drugs. the mindless sheep we call kids will follow him of course and take drugs, just cause ben cousins did, so can they!
  15. West Coast will delist him for this final indiscretion and Hawthorn will pick him up. Afterall, they need to replace their drug dealer that retired at the end of the 2007 season. :LOL:
  16. Part of what comes with being a champion(?), is the responsibility of setting an example for the the young kids. Alot of kids worship the bloke, just as we all probably had our heroes when we were little kids.
    He let those little kids that looked up to him, down....so he does'nt deserve the privilage of being a footballer any more, in my book.
    Cousins...welcome to obscurity..
  17. do the math
    Australia= highest ampetamine usage per capita IN THE WORLD.
    = second highest cannibis use
    2) Young kids being picked straight out of school to play footy. Ego, testosterone, inexperience.
    3) insufficient counselling and mental preparation for pressures of being in the public eye, and what is expected.

results in high possibility that many players in the AFL take drugs on occasion recreationally, at least.

i think clubs should provide more couseling and drugs guidance to players on a more consistent basis, as there is a need for it.
  18. I really don't know what to make of all of this. As in most workplaces, there are a few one eyed fans who can hear nothing bad said about any footballer. And with each controversy it was easy to ask a few questions and see how they jump to the defence of the person concerned. But when you look at it, what do we care?

From a role model perspective, I'm with the hang'em brigade. But drug use in sport and AFL is the same as society, which is surprising given their income and 'free' time. So I'm happy to hang them, but accept that as a group I'm surprised that they're not more people failing.

On random tests, we don't even test the Victorian police. As a police officer, I can shoot someone and as long as there is nothing obviously illegal about the shooting (self defence etc...) then I'm ok. No drug tests. No RBT. Nothing. But kick a footy and I am subject to out of season tests for what a lot of people classify as recreational drugs (I know there is no such thing). The only other groups subjected to these tests are pilots and other PT officials. I can be a lawyer and represent a client after a weekend of partying and as long as I am obviously not intoxicated then no one is the better. Even if my client goes down because I wasn't on my game.

I can do anything I like over the weekend and my employer doesn't give a stuff. Short of getting arrested and doing jail time, they don't care and nor should they. So why, as a footy player do we? Of course, it looks bad, it sets a bad example, it's not good and I am sure he should suffer a penalty. But a loss of career?

Ben is an extreme example and probably not someone I should go into bat for, but there is definitely another side to this. I for one would much prefer the AFL/NRL etc to educate players on sexual abuse and other serious criminal activities than hammer a player for smoking a joint or two in November.

And for those of us who enjoy the occasional smoke (not me BTW!), how many of us would like our employer taking a hair sample and sacking us for a smoke of some class c drug we had over xmas?

On the other side, as a club racer I now have to follow the WADA drug code for certain events. But then, marijuana and racing isn't a good mix. And I doubt whether a MA official would ever attend an event I take part in, but the rules are there. However, the AFL players are subject to out of season testing for 'recreational' drugs, not playing days. Would you like someone turning up on your holiday and subjecting you to a test?

I am neither for or against, but the press will only present one side of the story.
  19. Sorry, but I just can't come at that. These guys aren't some poor bastard living in poverty looking for a fix to escape from their shithouse existence. They are well paid elite athletes who are aware of the risks both to their health and their career.

I'm all for harm minimisation when it comes to drugs in general, but if your job is to be an elite athlete and you can't keep off the gear then I have no sympathy for you if you're busted.
  20. I don't buy all the role-model stuff. I can see where everyone's coming from, but I don't buy it. They're sporting heroes, not life coaches. If WE didn't call for blood over recreational drug use and if WE didn't care, then perhaps the media wouldnt give it such extreme coverage... how would the kiddies even know what gear they're on? It's not like your 10 year old is down at the pub and sees his favourite footy player with dilated pupils.