Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Bells Ck Road and Bruce Highway - Deadly

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by TRA, Mar 16, 2011.

1. I have long thought this is one of the worst intersections in QLD. Today it claimed another victim, 2 infact. Unfortunatly it was two motorcyclists.

For those unfamiliar with it. Its a 2 by 2 lane highway, with roads entering either side.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...&+Bells+Creek+Rd,+Queensland&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

Its in the centre of a bunch of forest reserves and is a popular spot for 4wd, dirt bikes, camping, boating and fishing and it is always busy. To top it off that part of the highway is always busy and its very difficult to merge into traffic. There is no merging lanes, so you have to accelerate from stop still to 110km.

This intersection seems to get neglected, its not as important and a clogged railway crossing in the Brisbane Metro. One has to wonder how many more accidents need to occur here before the at least put in some merging lanes.

2. Very sad.
    But how the f**k does that happen??? At least one of them must have been behaving like a di*khead, how much road do two bikes need FFS?

3. You have to understand how rediculously deadly that intersection is. I have had many brown trouser moments there when cars pull out in front of you.

4. i know that stretch of road quite well. the hairier part is westbound where it snaps back from view. haven't had many idiots to deal with there but the one i DID have had me hyperventillating for a good few minutes.

any idea what actually happened?? did the bikes collide or was a car involved?

5. One crossing the highway, other turning onto the highway.

Problem is when you are on bells creek road, you spend 95% of your time watching the highway traffic waiting for a break. When you cross the highway (remaining in bells creek road) you really have to open it up, as there is not normally a big gap in the traffic. It really does need attention that intersection.

6. Agreed, that intersection is extremely dangerous, I cannot comprehend why nothing has been done about it. I was just reading the sunshine coast daily online and could not believe one of the comments made in relation to this story...
    According to this moron motorbikes are too dangerous to ride on the road because muppets like her are too ****ing lazy to do shoulder checks! This is the attitude we are contending with people. Here's the link if anyone would like to respond:
    http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/03/16/double-fatal-bruce-highway/#commentsList

7. Up until a few months ago I rode that route at the same time for 2.5 years. The couple intersections there along the highway are VERY dangerous as they have no actual exits, very short stopping and entry lanes and no real traffic direction or decent intersection sign-age. You also need to cross two lanes of 110kmh zone to get to the median strip if you wish to travel in the opposite direction. Thanks to the Steve Irwin Way now being reduced to 80kph almost the whole way and getting littered with traffic lights, commuters and locals know it's quicker taking Bells Creek and Roys roads to the highway.
    As much as I hate to say this, I am not surprised this has happened.
    R.I.P. to the downed brothers but hopefully the council and government pull their fingers out and do something about these shocking intersections.

8. That is fantastic M.H.- I suck at driving so please don't ride a bike, I might kill you, won't someone think of me and my children........... (and the guy at the mechanics who would have to pull bits of you out of my car to check the oil and water for me)