Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Belated new signer-up-erer

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by ptb, Jul 22, 2012.

1. I think I broke'd the rules... I posted elsewhere before introducing myself!

...not that most people care who I am :D

New to bikes, I woke up one morning and thought, I'm bored with life, I need something exciting. The next weekend I had my motorbike learners, a week later I bought a VTR250. I love my jap cages so I thought I'd chance a jap lightweight learners bike that heaps of mates recommended.

Well... Before signing up, I spent dozens of hours on this site, reading hundreds of threads, mainly in the New Riders section. I bought a few motorbike training DVDs, watched them and set out on the public roads to pay more tax... i mean have the time of my life!

I don't know how to describe it. I'm far more alive on my mediocre VTR250 than I have been in many years. Learning to ride a motorbike is far more exciting than cage track days, overseas travel, getting drunk, se.... ok maybe not everything...

I'm the mid life crisis bloke who has found some excitement. Many friends repeatedly said I should get my bike learners a decade ago, then I could get an exciting bike when I decide two wheels are for me. Well, I foolishly didn't listen and now am stuck with LAMS, however not being able to lift the front wheel under power for the next 15 months may keep me on two wheels for decades longer :)

Wouldn't mind catching up with a few riders from the outer east 'burbs of Melbourne, Yarra Valley way.
    Cheers all
  2. belatedly welcome :)
  3. Hey ptb, and welcome to NR.

Nothing mediocre about VTR250s. Great learner bikes, and quite nimble. It wasn't until I rode my upgrade Z that I realised just how much I could throw the VTR around, and how forgiving (albeit small!) it is.

Come to Sat Learner practice to meet plenty of NRs. All sorts of people come along - it isn't just for learners.
  4. Lo Bloke
  5. Welcome ptb, good to hear you are enjoying your ride.
  6. Welcome in ptb, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the trusty little VTR, good choice.
  7. Welcome to the NutHouse :D !!!
  8. welcome to NR :)
  9. Indeed. Apparently they can lift the front wheel too, if you're mad enough, and prepared to [strike]ab[/strike]use the clutch a little (youtube tells me so)..

Anyway, welcome, and enjoy your stay :)
  10. Hello, I'm another middle-aged learner. It's good fun alright :)
  11. Mediocre as in well under $5k so I wont neck myself if my lack of talent results in it laying down.

I've had it on one wheel, albeit for a split second from the mentioned abuse of clutch and 'accidental' wide throttle usage... not doing that again without more daily practise :)

Will rock up to practise one day, I haven't been interested in anything for years and all of a sudden I'm a kid jumping up and down to open his xmas presents!
  12. I feel exactly the same way.