Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Being overtaken in your lane

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Christinek, Feb 6, 2015.

1. #1 Christinek, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    hey all

Prefacing this post with I'm a noob with a lovely bright yellow L sign on my back plate... thumbs up for noobs whoop

I've had a few experiences lately where other riders have taken over me in my own lane. One was in the bus lane crossing the harbour bridge into cbd, in the short section that is wider than the rest of the lane (if you use this lane you'll know the bit I'm talking about) and another time was in a bus lane in a 3 lane 80km zone.

In both instances I was definitely not going below the speed limit, and most certainly keeping up with the traffic if you get my drift. There wasn't much space in front of me; I was a 2-3sec gap behind the vehicle in front of me.

first time (harbour bridge) completely took me by surprise. 2nd time I saw the rider behind me and I had the sense he was gonna whip alongside me so I pulled left in anticipation.

is this something i should regularly be prepared for, if I see another rider behind me??
    I can't help but feel it's because I have these lovely yellow L plates that some people don't wanna "wait" behind me - even though there's nowhere to go in front of me and I'm keeping up with traffic....

I did come across this thread but it's a few years old so thought it might be worth a fresh post?! https://netrider.net.au/threads/bikes-overtaking-in-your-lane.113283/page-5

any wise words or helpful tips???

cheersies :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Without going over all that old ground again, it's legal and it's safe if done properly.
    It's up to the overtaker to make sure of that, but you should be prepared.
    If you find yourself taken by surprise, treat it as a lesson in improving your situational awareness. Having said that, everyone else should give L-platers a break.
    Overtaking mid-corner is for a whole different ball game.
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. I'd just call them selfish pricks. Not much better than grumpy cagers who abuse you for filtering.
    If I need to pass a L plater and can't do it without difficulty in another lane then I always slow down behind them and wait to make my intentions and action really obvious. I'd hate to look in the mirror to see some inexperienced newby has been startled and had any form of lose, or even loss of concentration or form.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. good to learn than, cheers titustitus . I was kinda happy with myself that I picked up on it the second time, but wasn't sure if I was right to be kinda p!$$ed off about it. As a noob I was a bit "what the" about it....
  5. Yes WTF. I'm a learner, that's what the L means, give me some space and consideration.
    I might look like I have good form, but I might not be expecting that sort of crap . . .
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. If I see another motorcyclist coming up behind me in the mirrors I generally move to the left hand wheel track to allow them to pass, basically treating my lane as a two lane road for other motorcyclists, get a few polite waves when I do it. If they want to travel at a higher speed than I do, they're out of my way and not up my arse making me feel pressured. I'll even move into the emergency lane for aggressive car drivers, anybody faster or more aggressive than you as a motorcyclist is better off in front of you where you can keep your eye on them and react to them quickly.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Get used to it.

Most Car drivers have this predisposition to riders, that we are all dangerous, erratic hooligans. Generally, most cars will avoid driving behind you if they can, doesn't matter how sensible a rider you are. They know you are vulnerable and they are inclined to think that you could do something crazy and unpredictable at any moment. These fear aren't entirely unfounded.

Best you can do is drive sensibly and with confidence, possibly with a dominant road manner. Once you get rid of those L plates people will be less anxious around you.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I could say more but in the interest of brevity,

it happens, there's nothing wrong with it, get used to it and keep your situational awareness up.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. You should be prepared for it and its polite to give a little signal to the rider behind that you've seen them. No matter what speed you do there's always someone that wants to go faster. Its more interesting when its cars that do it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Hi ChristinekChristinek. Good to read you learnt from your first experience (otherwise stop riding haha). With the big "L" trailing on the back, this will happen. You can take control however. When you find someone has appeared behind you, you may assume they are likely to want to pass. Stay in your preferred wheel track, but when you see a safe passing location, move left, drop the throttle a little, kick the right leg out (as a passing signal), and the rider, if smart, will filter by.

You control the passing manoeuvre, you now know it's coming, and in a location of your choosing. You'll probably get a wave for it. Some riders will be impatient anyway, so still keep an eye out!

And.....isn't riding the greatest?!!!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. A lot of riders will overtake quite safely but there are a few you need to be aware of - was riding through the Nasho last week and taking the correct line through the corners - at a particularly twisty bit and this bike overtakes as I was coming out of the right turn and setting up my line for the left turn which ended up being not as I would have liked it- I was probably doing 70-80km - and I am not a 'L'!!! made me hyper aware of bike sounds for the rest of the ride.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I get this nearly every day in Melbourne from both perspectives. I have a 20klm freeway commute so a lot of lane splitting through slow traffic.

If I'm approaching a slower rider I'll always hang back until I know they've seen me and then pass slowly. On the other hand there are a few 'future statistics' that will pass me at speed with no warning. I'm not slow by any means but I will always pull over if I see someone coming up behind me at speed.

Nothing worse than having another bike on your back wheel when lane splitting at freeway speeds.
  13. Maybe they are jealous of you red Italian PeonyPeony!
    • Like Like x 1

14. Sure is!!!!!!!! :love:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. While it would be nice to believe we are all comrades, the opposite is sadly the truth.

fcuktards ride motorcycles to. they're the ones who think its okay to touch other peoples rides, put others at danger and have no understanding of good riding etiquette.

Just because you "Can" doesn't mean you "Should" while a good comrade would wait till safe or an invitation to pass signalled... sadly we don't live in a perfect world.

You can only minimise the risks by exercising good rider etiquette yourself, along with good road craft and what's called "Owning your lane". Which are things that come with experience and confidence and are difficult to teach as there are no hard and fast rules.
  16. Question: I experience it when I'm too stuffed to filter and usually move over to give them room, a haven to help them. I then stay in that position and regularly glance at the mirror to try and let them know I've seen them. But is there some accepted gesture? Like a long sideways nod, wave with hand or foot? I don't have plates anymore but the bike is obviously a noobs. I'd like to make it obvious that l'm not about to cross in front of them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Right foot out and down.

But then you are relying on the other rider knowing what that means. Many don't.

Also they may simply just biding their time waiting for other gaps further a head to open up, lights to change etc. before committing to anything.
  18. Sorry, I've been riding for 30+ years and I don't know what that means.....

Just make it obvious that you are moving over, move to the other tyre track and stay there until they have passed.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. I'm with you OZ. I have never heard of the right foot bit or most other signals not listed in the riders handbook. It is obviously just the in crowd that has these little gems. In my 50 odd years of riding I have never been part of an organised group ride which is why I am on the outer. There was no pre-license course back when I did my license, you just learnt as you went. I have never seen any suggestion that passing in the same lane is legal either and is certainly not covered by the new "NSW Filtering" rule. Don't know about other states.