Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Being Invisible - all pay attention

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sir Skuffy, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Good article. I would like to add somoething though:

The author talks a lot about "making eye contact" - pretty meaningless especially behind a visor meaning the driver probably can't see your eyes at all.

Instead, look at the front wheels of the car for signs of movement and of turning. This is your best clue that a car is about to move off and where it will be going. It's not fail-safe but it's better than trying to eyeball someone.
  2. I also employ lots of jinking and weaving to get attention..., such as when you don't want that bastard to pull out in front of you. But in the end, there is no substitute for having escape routes, having the ability to control your bike in emergencies (ie, not panicking and shutting down), and avoiding being in a position to get hit for the maximum possible time.
  3. + 100 Iondah.
  4. i would suggest the authors comments about "making eye contact"
    are not so much about the driver seeing your eyes,
    rather you seeing the driver's eyes.

akin to the signs/stickers you may have seen on trucks;

similar logic applies;
    if you cannot see the drivers eyes then you must assume they have not had a chance to see you.

of course you should always assume that they have not seen you, but
    at the same time you should increase their chances of seeing you.

as part of my visual scan i glance at the driver of any vehicle close enough to effect me.
    a driver's head twitch or a half-arsed look in a mirror can be a valuable hint of an impending movement/lane change.
  6. I agree with what most of the article says.

My 3 rules for Sydney's traffic riding include invisibilty (so far so good :grin: )

1. NEVER ride beside a car
    2. when you pass, pass wide and FAST
  7. I'm not sure what they teach on the learners course here, but in the UK (back in the dark ages) I was taught to make eye contact, look for visible signs of movement (car doors opening etc...), 'life savers' when riding past junctions with vehicles that may enter the road (roundabouts etc..), ride in the right wheel wheel track and try to constantly move in the vehicles mirrors to enhance your visibility.
  8. thats pretty much what was in my course last year... also, a lot of mention was made of keeping 3 seconds space between you and the car in front, and if you can, the one behind.. staying in the tyre track that gives you the most distance from incoming problems - so inside lane when your on your own, and outside lane when you've got cars for company... do your most to make sure you're seen by drivers - eye contact meaning you see them looking at your head.. also,, when travelling with other bikes, keep the groups to 3-4.. apparently we are 'scarey' when in large groups... :roll:
  9. Good read. I'm sure I look a bit strange when I go past people in an adjacent lane. When behind them, I get closer to their lane, and ride into the space where they can see me in their mirrors. Pausing briefly I then get wide and fast, and done. But when I'm doing that past 20 cars, people behind me must think I'm drunk or something.
  10. Hey Ionha

It is about "you" getting the eye contact. The fact that you see their eyes and they are looking at you is what is important... Them not seeing your eyes is irrelevant..... Afterall, you have more to lose than they.
  11. Seems like common sense to me. Wait before speeding off on a green? Don't ride in a cars blind spot? Don't accelerate too much when cornering? Pay attention to the road surface? You should know all this already I think.. I don't know, I've never ridden a bike, but I already know that I'd think of all these things before I got on it.
  12. Easier in theory than in practice. You'll see :grin:
  13. What you should do instead of waiting is before you take off check both sides of the intersection and when your going through it again check again just to make sure nothing is about to hit you.
  14. Haha, yeah I was thinking that!
  15. This is pretty much the same as is taught here. The ride smart cd (free to all vic riders) tries to push a lot of the points mentioned here. It isn't perfect but it does give some good referential material on which to build good habits and development of skills.
  16. The problem is drivers can look directly at you and not even see you so whilst I wouldn't say making eye contact is a bad thing you can't always rely on it to mean that they have seen you.
    It's about pattern recognition, the average driver is looking for a car or something else suitably large before they pull out or whatever. Sometimes a bike, even in their direct field of vision, just won't register.