Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Being buzzed by WW2 fighter planes

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by waedwe, Apr 11, 2010.

1. #1 waedwe, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    We have a small airport near where hangars house peoples private planes, we sometimes are buzzed by a old australian wirraway, but today have been watching flyovers by 3 old WW2 fighters in formation, have been over at least 10 times, the engine noise is awesome. thought i'd share my crappy mobile phone footage of them
    need a better camera i think

2. Any idea what they were? I love old WWII planes.
  3. i agree. get a better phone so you can take better videos.

Imagine reading that statement 10 years ago...
  4. i think 1 was a soviet yak, a local owns that, and it had the communist red star markings, could be the highlands warbirds people, they fly out of a little airport in joadja.
    edit. they only have 2 planes so no idea who it is
  5. hmmm WWII planes

The question posed -- is there any machine more beautiful than a WWII spitfire ?
  6. Probably not. The P51 was beautiful, too, but the Spitfire's purity of line was almost perfection. On that subject I am most unimpressed with the local one at Temora that is painted with a ghastly set of jaws around the engine cowling like the old Tigers used to have.
  7. Didn't one crash last time you and I rode through there ???

Kawasaki did make bombers and trainers during the war !
    Maybe take the ZZR to visit its ancestors ! lol
  8. Agree ! The D-model only but, with he exposed canopy! . . . other Mustangs look like Kittyhawks. !
  9. Wayney-pooh !
    Did you put on your NIMBY hat and call your local member ???

If not . . . you southern highlanders are soft !! :D
  10. +100. I should have qualified by saying only the full bubble canopy ones...beautiful.

For the benefit of people who don't know what the heck we're talking about...

11. I would call my local member, but only to demand my rates are used to fund more flyovers :LOL:
    Agree on the bubble canopy being much better than the old cage type 1 on the P51
    The crashed 1 was a boring old cesna or similar.
    We could rig up a anti aircraft unit for the pillion seat on the ZZR but will have to adjust suspension to deal with the recoil on corners

12. Little of topic sorry but WAEDWE -- I suggest you check page 9 of the kevlar jeans competition - I also sent you a PM
  13. thanks motolegion, pm sent, and woooohoooo
  14. Yep only took the poms to make the mustang right... pity the yanks didn't listen to them sooner.
  15. I remember when I was a kid, we were liveing on a farm between Forbes and Grenfell, two old (I'm assumeing) WWII fighters flew low over the farm house, haveing a mock dog fight, as far as I could tell

Few weeks later dad went to investigate why the TV signal was so bad... the TV ariel had been snapped in half by something 8-[