Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Being a rider and being a parent

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by leftleg, Mar 15, 2005.

1. My 17 year old daughter has been riding around our paddocks on an ag bike and hopes to get a road licence when she's got more traffic experience in a car. I feel really proud that I encouraged her to try riding for herself after enjoying being a pillion. I helped her buy her old bike from the wreckers and the two of us did it up.

But tonight was one of those heart warming moments that stay with you forever. I was reading my 2 year old a bed time story. When I thought she had fallen asleep I picked up a copy of AMCN and was flicking through the pages. Next thing I know my little girl sits up on the bed, points at the pictures and says, "mobike".

Can anyone recommend any kids story books that have "mobikes" in them? I may have another rider in the family.
    :D :D :D
  2. Can't assist with any stories ... may just buy her a magazine subscription :)

But my I'm in the same boat with my niece. Everytime she goes past a bike it's "jo's bike". She has already claimed everything that belongs to me already!!!
  3. How about being the Grandparent and watch the look on your daughters face when,
    your 6mth old grandaughter twists her right hand when you ask which is the throttle, and squeezes her left hand when you say clutch !!

:LOL: :twisted: :LOL: pricless !!!!

and is tearing for the front door in her walker when grandad comes to vist on the VTR 8)

( she not going to be biker ) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  4. Same with me, have a two and a half y.o daughter. Daddy..are you going to ride your motorbike?
    Took her along to maccas last Sunday she like being around all the other people that owned m'bikes. Bit scared of Chairman though when he tried to talk to her...:LOL:
  5. My girls ride dirt bikes...but I guess I'm in two minds about the roadbike thing (a few years off though) - mainly because deep inside I know it is more dangerous.....I guess we'll see when we get there....BTW, does anyone know if there is a LEGAL minimum age for pillion passengers (as distinct to a sensible one)?

Of course on the dirtbikes they stack all the time - nothing serious yet - close call with a high side though for one of them - bike flipping on top of her in the wet.....scarey....

6. No legal age. As long as they can reach the pillion pegs, it's legal. Which IMHO is rediculous. My 9 year old daughter has been a pillion with me since she was 6 but I have found I can't take her out too late at night now cause she falls asleep on the back :oops:
  7. There is a kids book called 'The mouse and the motorcycle', although you might have to hold on for a few years, as from memory it's more suited to 8 or 9 year olds. We have a copy of that at home, which my 3 year old is a bit young for, but he likes the picture on the front none the less.

And his version of mobike - is mombike. He says, "daddy - you going on mombike now?"
  8. JDM, I know what you mean, my daughter has already claimed my bike "after I've finished with it"

When I got the full license, first words were, "you finished with it now?.. when do I get it?"

I am worried that she could be riding on the road in a year, but if she's determined I'm not going to try to stop her, I'm going to try to make sure the risk is minimised by making sure she's as well prepared as possible.

(proud dad)
  9. kids

While I dont know of any specific books, I just left the bike ads books around. Kids look at tham all the time.

Some of my greatest joys have been, helping my daughter get her licence and having her accompany me, or is that the other way around now, on rides.

My grand daughters as they grow get a ride on the roads now.
    One granddaughter has progressed from a run down to the shops, to Toy Run From Traralgon to Moe, year before last, to last year doing the Melbourne Toy Run.
    She is now waiting for Mum to get good enough to take her on as pillion.

No doubt one day she will have her own bike, or steal her mother's as her mother did before her.

Its great.

Brian (OLDFARC#3)