Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Being a learner and tailgaters

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sirlc6, Mar 12, 2015.

1. As the title states I have only had my learners for a couple of weeks And every time I go for a ride I have had a tailgater dangerously close. I thought my speedo might have been out so I went for a ride with a friend and compare speeds mine seems pretty accurate with his (I know not an accurate measurement but he doesn't get tailgaters. Does this happen to other learners? Or is it just me?
    Cheers Paul.

Ps sorry if this subject has been flogged to death.

2. When I first started riding I thought the same thing. As I became more confident it was no longer an issue. I'll be interested to hear if it is still an issue for you when you have been riding for a bit longer.
  3. It certainly happened to me especially in 50-60 k zones, try not to stress about them to much they eventually go around or give it up
  4. fold your mirrors in if it is distracting you, better that you concentrate on riding than be preoccupied with a dickhead behind you
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Some people are just dickheads and think they're being funny or something doing that and learners seem to be the preferred target. If it keeps happening try and find a place you can pull over SAFELY and let them past you. Whatever you do, DON'T BRAKE CHECK them! (that's suddenly hitting the brakes and releasing them in front of the tailgator). Chances are it will go very badly for you. I set up my rear brakes so that I can flash the light without actually slowing down, but your best option is just to let them go.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I notice L platers in cars copping more tailgaters too. I think everyone assumes they're going slower so they naturally crawl up the poor bastard's arse.

The other thing if you're riding backstreets is people get very close when they're looking for their turnoff. Another trend i've noticed in the last few years...
  7. Its that BIG BRIGHT YELLOW L plate on the back of your bike unfortunately:(

Attracts idiots for some reason!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I've got my fair share of this when I started riding with Ls on main road. IMO just don't panic and concentrate on what's in front of you. There will always be idiots on the road who will try to scare poor Ls like us. I have never tail gated an L plater whenever I'm driving a car, I've been there so I know exactly how it feels.
  9. Same thing on my L's. How confident are you at riding? I would turn around an look straight at the driver while waving at them too back off. But I don't recommend it unless you already have good handling skills, plus you are taking your eyes of what's infront of you!
  10. I get it a bit, but I mostly ride on multi-lane roads, so they go from being up my ass to doing backflips trying to overtake me (even if at any given time I'm 10-20kph over).
    I was a bit funny about it to begin with, but the more I ride the less I care. If someone really really loves the look of my ass, on a multi-lane, I'll move over and let them ride the person in front of me's ass while I stare at theres from a safe distance (swapsies).
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. You're not sitting in the right hand lane are you?
  12. Me? When I'm overtaking or would be if someone wasn't in front of me, yep. Otherwise I'll move across.
    Is that wrong? Riding on 4 lane freeways I feel safer in the far right lane. Left lane has mergers and pretty common slow downs from people merging up ahead, middle lanes have multiple lanes either side of me I need to worry about.
  13. Staying in the far right lane will certainly get you some tailgators (people trying to pass but you're blocking the lane) and potentially some fines as well for not keeping left (depends on the road).
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. When overtaking or being stuck behind someone blocking the lane? I thought that's what the lane was for.
  15. Sure, you're going to claim you were overtaking other traffic while on a restricted licence? Good luck with that. You just said yourself you stay in the far right lane to avoid messy traffic, not to overtake. Either speed up and get out of the way or pull left.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Hi, as others have said, just ride your own ride, and concentrate on the road ahead.
    Most other drivers give you some grace when they see the "L" on the rear.
    Not sure what state your in, but NSW do have the speed limitations on "L" platers, that make things difficult for them.
    If riding on country single lane roads, just be courteous and pull over when safe to do so and allow them to pass; as it's better to have them in front of you were you can see them, rather than a p*ssed off driver behind you. (I compare this to being stuck behind a truck/caravan riding through your favourite section of twisties and how grateful I am if they pull to the side to allow me to pass)
    In traffic, try to keep to the left lane, if possible.
    Just don't feel pressure to ride faster than what you a comfortable/confident to do.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. That was unrelated. I feel safer in the far right lane for the reasons I mentioned, but I'm matching the speed of the lane.
    The tailgaters I get are because there's a car in front of me and I cannot go any faster. If they're persistent and there's room I'll move across so they can tailgate the guy I was behind.

I'm either passing traffic to the left of me or stuck behind someone in that lane. If traffic is passing me on the left, and its not because someone is in front of me, I move straight away. I'm not sure I see the problem. Maybe I'm explaining myself wrong.

Anyway, I feel like we're stealing the thread. Obviously if you're not matching the lane speed on a multi-lane road you should be in a lane further to the left.
  18. Tailgaters seem to disappear when your L plate breaks off, I notice more with plates on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad it's not just me. Must be a mastodon syndrome or something where drivers see the yellow L plate and must show them who's boss. It has been happening on back streets and multi lane roads when I'm in the left lane. I'm not new to riding just new to riding on the road. I live in adelaide And been riding to and from work.
  20. Setting up your brakes (not actually braking but just enough to flash your lights) can make them back off. If you're in the left lane (which you should be) I cannot stress enough the importance of sitting in the right hand wheel track: Own your lane!

Just this morning some poor lady on a scooter was practically in the bicycle lane and 4WD's were overtaking her in the same lane, recipe for disaster.

Keep an eye on them (in case you need to stop suddenly), but don't let anyone influence how you ride.