Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Behold the mighty KR-500

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Apr 21, 2008.

1. #1 hornet, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    For all you folks who've never seen/heard a 500cc two stroke GP bike, here's multi-world champion Kork Ballington with HIS 1982 KR-500 Kawasaki; fantastic!!!

[media=youtube]ojeq3iu4HrY[/media]

2. I think he owns a hardware store in Brisbane these days. Probably still has 'lakka bries with his boets'.

3. I don't know, that was a link on a South African motorcycling web-site. There's also a link there to Jon Ekrold's book.

Kork was lucky Harry wasn't his size or his 4 world championships would have been 0 world championships.

4. Hansford was definitely special but Ballington was no bozo, and he could only beat the blokes who lined up on the grid next to him. We will never know for certain.

The 750/500's were definitely the bikes for Harry and had he signed for Yamaha in '80 like he should have there is little doubt he would have won the title that year.

5. Not downgrading Ballington's performances at all, but they were so close on the 250s and 350s and only Harry's elbows sticking out in the breeze made the difference at times, or so it was said...

6. still good to look at and hear. Thanx Hornet

7. That bike defines teh term "cranky bugger" when it comes to engines...........

Regards, Andrew.

8. I believe Factory is correct in saying that Kork now lives in OZ, by the way. With the dodgy politcal situation in SA, I can't say I blame him :LOL:.

9. Great find Hornet600.

I've always held a great interest in the Kawasaki GP bikes of the 70's and 80's, the KR500 in particular. Even though it's perfomance was dissapointing it was a very interesting piece of machinery in a decade when diversity on the racing grids was strong.

My regular searches for material on this bike is what drew me to this forum and has introduced me to a mountain of other interesting racing material from the days gone by.

Hopefully I'll be able to make some useful contributions myself once I have enough replies posted to allow me to start adding links and pictures.

10. I love those kevlar safety sandals.

11. Andy, I've already posted a Hi" in your other thread, but you are most welcome. As many are happy to point out, my memory of some of those riders and events is a bit hazy these days, and a younger set of brain cells is certainly welcome, plus of course your OWN racing experiences.

I found this vid when I was searching for information about the state of motorcycling in South Africa, it was a happy find :).