Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beginner Commuter Bike Advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Epic_Fail, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Hi All,
    I am new to riding and am getting my licence this week or next (just need to find some time!) And I'd appreciate any advice on possible bikes for commuting to and from work.

- I am 170cm and approx 70kg
    - commute to work is roughly 40km each way with plenty of highway running and heavy traffic
    - need to be able to fit a ventura or similar luggage system on the rear.
    - no interest in having a pillion.

I'd like something that is reasonable to maintain and will probably consider doing the maintenance myself. Budget wise I am probably looking at 7k including bike, gear and lessons
    Roughly got 1200 for gear and about 500 for lessons, which leaves approx 5300 for the bike.

Happy to take a used bike given its my first, probably looking at using this for at least 12-18 months before upgrading/purchasing new.

At this stage my preference is for a naked, sports or sports tourer - no intention of going off road and at this stage I will be avoiding any rides around the popular mountain routes until I get comfortable riding.

Cheers guys, look forward to any feedback :)
  2. I would have a good look at a secondhand GS 500 Suzuki or a 500 Honda.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You're pretty spilt for choice these days, mate. The Suzuki GS500 are pretty popular for commuting. I like the Kawasaki Ninja 300 or Z300's and is what I would look at if starting again. A member here is over 80,000k on theirs... So, reliable I'd say.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks, I have seen quite a lot of the GS500Fs on the road and its one I quite like along with the Ninja 300.

It is great there is so much choice but I must say it does make choosing a bike really difficult!
  5. DR650. Does everything, costs nothing. Buy one.
  6. welcome aboard :) good luck with your Ls.
    When it comes to a bike start going to some dealers and sitting on a few to see how it feels that way when you get your Ls you can have a short list of preferred bikes
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I'd more lean towards a injected CBR250/Ninja 300, with or without ABS.
    By the time you throw on all your luggage/ heated handle bars and large windscreen and you will add another grand.

I commuted 30k/yr on a ZZR250, great little bike which is very simple to maintain and run. Less fancy and modern than the Ninja and CBR however comfortable to ride being a sports tourer.
  8. If it were me I'd look at an older GS500, ER5, DR650, KLR650 or something similar.
  9. Thanks guys, I think the Ninja 300 and GS500/GS500F have caught my eye and I will scope out some options regarding those :)