Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beginner Bike - Yamaha SR250 /SR400

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by rchance, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I've been reading up on all sorts of new bikes and I definitely prefer the look of 'classic' bikes which led me to the Yamahas sr250/400. Both of these bikes translate into beautifully naked bikes (which is my goal). I also like the idea of the kickstart, although a bit annoying, I like the nod to the earlier days.

The price gap is huge with very little to choose from on the market for the sr250 (I can see a couple for around $1-3k) and as for the sr400 there are plenty of bikes that seem rather expensive to me especially for the number of kms they have done - I'd be looking at mini $6k for a 25yr+ old bike with 30k kms.

I could buy an almost new sr400 for $8k however this would leave almost no budget left to customise the bike into how I would want it to look... Which would probably cost and extra $2-3k.

My questions are - Is it work going for an almost new SR400 or just got for an oldie? Should I just pick up any SR250 and spend a little extra getting it into very good shape/looking how I want? And finally, should I ditch both those ideas and go with a different cheaper bike that fits the same look and LAMS approved?

Appreciate the help.

2. post 2010 = fuel injection if you want that

so pre-2010 with carby, go on condition.
  3. An SR400 is a fashion item...mucking around with a kick-start when you're stalled in traffic doesn't make sense to me.

Why not buy two bikes? An SR400 project bike that isn't registered and something else to learn to ride on? The "something else" could still be a 400 single if you want to get used to that "vibe". Buy something that runs and sell it once the SR400 is ready to go.
  4. Im looking at a pre-owned SR400, 2009 year aprox. Keen as bean. A lot cheaper than the new SR400's at 8K.
  5. Are you experienced enough to not be stalling in peak hour traffic conditions? Are you mechanically inclined and able to maintain your pride and joy yourself?

If so, a cheap SR250 in good condition will be good platform (and probably cost you closer to $3k). I'd suggest not investing too much money into customising it until you've ridden a good 1,000kms on it and know whether its a good sidekick for your adventures... The look of the bike is one thing but whether it rides the way that makes you enjoy taking it out is another!

In the meantime, save up the $$$ and test ride similar but different bikes and then make a longer term decision?

In the end, you need to enjoy looking at and riding your bike :)
  6. I had a Yamaha Scorpio for a year. It always got me where I was going. It cost me hardly anything to run. It has a kickstarter.
    Other bikes but older would be Honda CBX 250, Yamaha SRV250, Kawasaki BR250.
  7. I started off on an sr400. I stalled a few times in traffic at the start. It was hilarious.
    Just don't panic & practice kick-starting until it becomes second nature, you'll be fine. (y)

I hope you're okay with vibrations, my hands would get numb after 40+ minutes but it never really bothered me

If you can stretch the budget also look into a Kawasaki W650/W400
  8. Don't touch any of the old air cooled kwaka singles - parts are impossible to find. Like unicorn sperm impossible.
    If you get a cranky SR500 it will be a problem to start. A decent SR400 easy enough once you have the technique down. A fuel injected SR400 should be piss easy.

A stupid part of me wants to buy a TF125 farm bike and turn it into a cafe tard thingy...
  9. Hi
    What bike u finally bought? I am also thinking about a custom sr400.
  10. Orb's bang on about the old Kawasaki stuff. Same goes with some smaller displacement Honda's and Suzukis from the same time period.

A SR400 or 500 with a well sorted carb and electronics system would be a piece of piss to start. I'm on my second now and it's a breeze. The key is to just get used to the thing and make sure kickstarting is second nature.
  11. #11 Shane1977, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Spend hours on peter stevens yamaha in geelong today. Made up my mind finally.
    After seeing the
    I felt like my heart stopped :) its a beautiful bike and exactly what I am looking for.
    So now I will buy a smaller second hand yamaha vstar 250 and till I get my full license.
    No point spending money on something which will be there only as a temporary solution.
    And then next year I will buy the Triumph :)

Thank you all for ur advices... hope I am taking the right decision.
  12. I'll be following your experience with the bike closely - they're gorgeous!