Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Before buying...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Makybe05, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Looking at buy a zxr250 and the seller doesnt know much about motorcycles mechanically and either do I, so i have turned to Netrider :)

The problem is that theres "a knocking sound coming from the engine ( sounds like big end bearing is on the way out)".

I was just wondering what this involves and how much this could cost me at both extremes? and is it worth buying as in is it too risky?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Mate, if you dont know much about bikes and the seller is the same, you have a couple of options.
    1. take it to a shop for inspection
    2. walk away........
    I say walk because there are other bikes around. :wink:
  3. How many k's ?. A knock u say? Assuming the engine is almost (if not is) identical to the ZZR and GPX then knocking at idle is common. How many kays on the bike may clue you in to if it really is a bearing.

Also the clutch basket on these bikes can make a knocking sound as the bike gets older. Does the sound get less or go away when pulling clutch in ?

If there is also a rattly noise beating in time with the knock it probly needs a new timing chain and tensioner (not to costly)

For the record my old ZZR had 54,000 kays replaced timing chain and tensioner at 47,000

but if in doubt get someone who "really knows" to check it out. My local mech only had to hear the bike to know what was going on.

4. It's only got 25,000 kms on it and its cheap, maybe too good to be true? Its also unregistered but i think i might get it if the price is right. If the "big end bearing is on the way out" how much coin are we talking to fix this?
  5. Walk away. If it is in fact the big end bearing and you are not going to do the work yourself then it is not worth the hassle. The whole engine needs to be split and you can't be sure nothing else will be found.

IMO anyway..... too many cheap bikes out there that run great....
  6. yeah walk away........ you dont wanna get stuck with a bike that is gonna end up costing you more than its worth!!!!

on ya bike
  7. Although, if you get the bike REALLY cheap, an engine swap is always an option.
    But knock+ no rego = too much hassle unless you know you can fix it yourself.
    The knock could just be Kawasaki camchain rattle, but I haven't heard it, so can't say. Assume the worst.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Wagga Wagga? Let me guess, a choco's neglected dream, used and abused?

There are 250s, registered and OK, going here all the time for reasonable prices and with the 'Netrider ring of confidence'.