Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Before buying a new bike... where do you check?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by StereoHead, Nov 17, 2005.

1. I moved from NZ a few years ago...

In Aus, where do you check to make sure a bike is not stolen and doesnt have loans outstanding against it?

Is there a phone number or website?

2. I just rang 131171 and followed the directions.
    They'll send you a certificate showing that there is no finance.

3. As you're in Victoria, you should ring VIcRoads (like Kraven said), you will need to have the VIN and maybe the engine number of the vehicle you intend to purchase.

They will check to see if it is stolen or under finance and tell you over the phone but this "over the phone info" gives you no guarantee of that though :? , it's only when you pay for the certificate that VicRoads officially guarantees that it is not stolen or under finance :roll:

4. did they tell you over the phone too?

5. Yes they did, but just as jezza said you have to buy a certificate over the phone before they can "guarantee" it. :?
    30 something bucks i think

6. Just 'coz I hate Vicroads, I'm itchin' to tell this one again:
    A couple of years ago it was announced that a circle of staff at the vehicle securities section of Vicroads were to be charged with offences relating to the selling of stolen cars. It seems these low-life had close connections to some professional car-stealing gangs, and were "fixing" the vehicle histories of quite a lot of stolen prestige cars, in return for a handsome kick-back. The number of cars was, I think, a couple of thousand!
    Anyway, when it was discovered, the police and sheriffs moved in to repossess the cars from their unwitting new owners. The cars were sold at audtion with funds going into consolidated revenue for the Bracks government, while the owners received no compensation whatsoever from anyone, not even the fee that Vicroads had charged some of them to verify the legitimacy of the transaction!
    Basically, you can check with Vicroads but if they get it wrong, either by fraud or mismanagement, you will not have a leg to stand on under the law :evil:

7. damned vic roads! (message was too short so I added this)