Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Been researching... Got My l's :) Got the Bike!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by willyboy, May 18, 2006.

1. Im new to riding and want to get a 250 (I live in Vic) I went to PS in the city to look at the vtr250 and im dead keen on a black one...
    Couple of questions

1. They want $8900 drive away is that reasonable for a new one, what are people paying?
    2. I figure $1000 for gear, If i'm buying boots, helmet, jacket, jeans, and gloves what kind of percent discount should i expect? and whats a good place to shop?
    3. Got a quote for motorbike insurance for aami, comprehensive for $780 is that reasonable for a 21 year old with no previous insurance claims? and where are others getting insurance?
    4. Booking my L's at the tulla HART, is that a decent place to go?

so after getting my cycle license i figure 12K to get me on the road with the above and the test, is that about right? I found a loan for 7.3% repayments on 12K over 3 years would be 85 a week if i financed the whole thing, which means id pay an extra $1,300 i dont think that is to bad...

Thoughts....

Cheers, Will

2. Not sure what the bike is worth, but if you can make the repayments the interest rate is REALLY good. I had a 12k loan with interest rate 11% and i thought that was good. It will also give you a good credit rating if you make all the repayments, and extra's.

Good luck!!

3. Borrowing money over three years - for a bike you're unlikely to want to keep for longer than the 18-24 month mandatory period doesn't make much sense. Not only are you paying interest but you're going to get hit hard by devaluation when it comes time to sell - so you'll wind up paying more than 12k in the end. You'd be better off trying to scrape together enough cash to buy something 2nd hand outright, which you can sell later for more or less what you paid for it. 9 grand is a lot for a 250 - especially when you can get a new SV650 for not much more than that.

4.  Top
  5. Re: Been researching for a while now...

Great choice of bike, that what I wanted as soon as I saw it, only couldn't justify the cash, but more that wrapped with what I got.

So assuming that "freight, pre-delivery or government charges" = $1000 then you dead on the money.
    More from honda

I would looks second hand, there are heaps about.

Happy hunting,
    Cheers,
    Mark

6. yeah i wouldnt buy a brand new 250 - go get a loan and buy a 2nd hand bike. If you buy it used and sell it in a year you might even be lucky to sell it for the same price. I bought my 250 for $5000 and sold it for $5200 - $200 profit!

7. yeah i wouldnt buy a brand new 250 - go get a loan and buy a 2nd hand bike. If you buy it used and sell it in a year you might even be lucky to sell it for the same price. I bought my 250 for $5000 and sold it for $5200 - $200 profit!

8. I agree with everyone above, definitely buy second hand. You'll want to upgrade in a year anyway.

Also recommend checking out BB's bike, would have been well looked after :)

9. Thanks for the replys,
    Ill take a look at BB's bike.

Anyone on insurance, gear or Hart?

10. HART have a very good reputation as being one of the best if not the best, I did my L and my licence through them at Tulla and they were fantastic.

:grin:

PS Ive seen BBs bike and its a ripper :grin:

11. Insurane go to swan or QBE , they do bikes at a better price , If you want I can give you a contact for Swan.

The gear is another thing , try on what you want to get , get the sizes , part numbers ect and PM me , I am layed up in hospital but could ring a few mates who work in stores and get some pricess for you if you would like. I should be able to get you a good price.

12. +1 buy second hand.

your insurance quote was very good i reckon.

i'd go armstrongs for learner training, if your group is learning at a reasonable rate they cover counter steering. how they don't cover counter steering at the majority of training centres is beyond me. :? then again most of your learning is on the road anyway so i guess it's much of a muchness.

good luck :)

13. +1 buy second hand.

i'd go armstrongs for learner training, if your group is learning at a reasonable rate they cover counter steering. how they don't cover counter steering at the majority of training centres is beyond me. :? then again most of your learning is on the road anyway so i guess it's much of a muchness.

14. +1 buy second hand.

15. +1 to the explaining and then practicing counter steering on your Learner course, we had a guy who did his L's at hart, then did his p's with us at armstrongs, and they had to explain what counter steering was to him, as he was never explained it during his L's course (so he said anyway)

16. Counter steering was taught in the Ps course with HART.

I rekon second had is the way to go for a 250. I'm itching to go up a size and I have several months to go yet..
    If you do like most people and go up a size as soon as you can you'll lose a lot on depreciation.

17. Thanks for all the replies this is a great community of people booked in for 29th at hart cant wait :)

Stack monkey ill give u a PM when the time comes thank you very much.

18. speaking insurance, i called Shannons for bike insurance when i was in the hunt...

now, i hate cars, but i LOVE bikes...

anyway i have a shit heap of a car and don't bother insuring it cause i don't drive it.

the guy on the phone says to me, so why haven't you insured your car. and i'm say.. cause... it's crap and not worth it.

then his tone changes and he's like, would it be worth it if you hit a ferarri? and i say... well... i haven't hit anything in the past 2 years so obviously i DIDN't need it.

then he says, well i'm sorry at this time it looks like i can't offer you bike insurance.

i ask him why not?

his answer: because at shannons we only offer insurance to enthusiast.

i was kinda baffled by this response... cause he is implying that, because i am not enthusiastic about my crappy seca, that i feel the same way about my SEXY beast NINJA

i laughed at him and then paused... then laughed again. then i hung up and laughed some more. then when i realised i still didn't have insurance i stoped laughing...

19. I had the same experience with Shannons. I told them I only use my bike for communting. They refused to insure me saying I was not an enthusiast. I went to Swanns and paid $280 for full cover.

20. Well the L's are on monday, after filling up my car today for no less than 80 bucks i really need to think about how to get the funds together for a bike.....