Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Bee Swarm (Near Birdwood SA)

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by ferkel, Oct 13, 2016.

1. All

Rode through the biggest European Bee swarm this arv (about 3pm). Here:

The swamp was 50m wide. This really shook me up. The local bee keeper has been contacted. I was lucky not to get stung. So avoid this section of the road for the next day or so while the Apiculturist deals with them.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Where's the "swamp?"
  3. European bee or wasps? Difference....
  4. Always hooray for bees. On principle. Perhaps not riding through them though..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. pretty common through that area, and also Inglewood too.
    anywhere there are orchards you will find more and more people putting hives there, especially this time of year for pollination...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes, it's swamps, and it's killer wasps, 200 of them :p. On a serious note: I knew this swarm may/may not have hung around. As it turned out, they were gone after a few hours. I've met many riders who are severely allergic to bees. I would rather say something, than nothing, then discover somebody died. As I said, this was a big swarm. I have no idea how I didn't get stung multiple times. My body can take 1 or 2 stings, but who knows how many more. I may not have been around to post this warning.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Glad you made it back safe & sound ferkelferkel
  8. i copped a bee today, had my jacket 2/3rds open as it was nice and warm.
    little bastard got under my t shirt and stung me on the upper chest when i pulled into a servo :emoji_bee:
    was just pretty itchy most of the arvo, had a bit of a nap when i got home. woke up and then noticed it's pretty swollen around the bite and around my neck a little too, and red.
    now it just feels like a bruise just under my throat, that's pretty tender, still itching like shit though but trying not to scratch it. :overreact:

Bee Sting.