Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive tune to live and die by

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pete, Oct 17, 2008.

1. STAYIN' Alive may be the perfect song for helping people to do just that, according to research out of Chicago.

A published study reported people providing CPR while listening to the disco anthem completed close to the perfect number of heart compressions per minute.

To give a patient the best chance of surviving, CPR should be done with 100 compressions a minute, said study author Dr David Matlock, more than most people realise. With 103 beats per minute in Stayin' Alive, the Bee Gees wrote an excellent guide for providing CPR, Dr Matlock said.

The study involved doctors and students providing CPR while listening to MP3 players, and found those who were working to Stayin' Alive came closest to maintaining the ideal number of chest compressions.

It is the first study to back up what the American Heart Association has been saying for two years; that's how long they've recommended people learning CPR keep the catchy tune in mind while performing resuscitations.

One of the participants in the study, Dr Matthew Gilbert, 28, told the Associated Press he has since hummed the tune to himself while working on real patients.

Dr Gilbert said he was surprised the song worked as well as it did.

"I was a little worried because I've been told that I have a complete lack of rhythm," he said.
    And while not a fan of the Bee Gees, Dr Gilbert told AP he knew a song by Queen with a similar number of beats.

"I heard a rumour that Another One Bites the Dust works also, but it didn't seem quite as appropriate," Dr Gilbert said.

-With AAP

Finally an easy way to remember compressions per minute during CPR.
  2. Must load it on my iPod

:LOL: :LOL:
  3. rubbish