Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bed Temprature

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by brownyy, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Warm bed, maybe with the elecy blanket on low

2. Hot as fcuk, small nuclear reaction under the bed for warmth

3. Cool but not freezing

4. The colder the better, near freezing sensations

5. I drink until I pass out, so it doesn't matter.

1. This is something that has confused me for some time now as I don't know why, I just know.

When I climb into bed, I like climbing into a cold bed, within reason. If my room is cold but not freezing, I like climbing into a cold bed. If I don't fall asleep within 2 minutes or i'm listening to my iPod, I roll over to the other side where it is still cold. Generally I fall asleep then all good.

However if I wake up at night, I will find myself flipping the pillow over and moving to the coldest patch of the bed... no idea why, it just feels nicer.

Yet when it is absolutely freezing, like 2 or 3 degrees in the house, i love having the electric blanket on, not on super, just enough to provide some warmth.

Those with a regular other half; do you find your partner too warm to sleep next too? Overheating etc, usually climbing to the other side of the bed as far as possible?? An ex many moon's ago was a freak temperature wise, in summer she'd have a donna wrapped around her then latch onto me at some point during the night. I'd always move so my back was against the bricks which were generally cooler trying to extract some heat...

In summer, I don't really sleep.

Anyone else notice this??

And my question...

How's your reactions to temperature and your solutions??
  2. If you get too warm it's your pillow.
    some pillows are better thermally than others.
    You lose most heat through your head so if your pillow maintains too much heat you do get warm.
  3. +1 about the pillow. Need one that dissipates heat better

I could sleep anywhere with a good pillow, but with a crap pillow on the nicest bed I'll wake up broken.
  4. Interesting pillow theory... i'll have to try flipping my pillow over when i wake up see if that helps me sleep longer till the next time i wake up :?
  5. ... I would probably be a bit cooler (and have more room!) if the blasted dog would get off the bed!!! :roll:
  6. Love a cold bed/cold room. I can always get another blanket if need be. My missus is always cold, and im always hot so we compliment each other well in that regard.
  7. Bad Spelling! :LOL:

I'm the same with the pillow thing, a nice cool pillow is a must, as is a nice noggin groove.
    No-one touches my pillows, no fluffing, no rearranging, nothing!

I guess your body has a particular heat range where it likes to be...
  8. Interesting pillow theory, smee, same with hats, eh? The head is where you lose most of your heat; keep your head warm, stay warm all over......

I always flip my pillow over when I wake up in the middle of the night; well, I DO when Mrs Hornet isn't hogging half of it :LOL:.

As for bed temperature, I like it thermonuclear when I get in in winter, but I always turn if off to sleep.
  9. I like my bed warm during winter nights and hate waking up to a cold morning...rather be under the warm blanket. However I like a cold pillow and rotate it sometimes through the night.

In summer, I just sleep with a bed sheet and sometimes end up throwing the pillow on the floor...kind of uncomfortable but cooler.

phong =P~
  10. If you drink until you pass out, this information is redundant.
  11. Sorry Paul - you're wrong there as well... :p

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/dec/17/medicalresearch-humanbehaviour

Rachel Vreeman and Aaron Carroll, at the centre for health policy at Indiana University in Indianapolis, rubbish the claim in the British Medical Journal this week. If this were true, they say, humans would be just as cold if they went without a hat as if they went without trousers. "Patently, this is just not the case," they write.

The myth is thought to have arisen through a flawed interpretation of a vaguely scientific experiment by the US military in the 1950s. In those studies, volunteers were dressed in Arctic survival suits and exposed to bitterly cold conditions. Because it was the only part of their bodies left uncovered, most of their heat was lost through their heads.

I love the idea of vaguely scientific experiments. :LOL:
  12. Weird, it seems like it's the other way around for me. I prefer running at a much cooler temperature. (That probably explains why shivering at 3am on a freeway with fog all around in middle of winter wearing only leathers puts a grin to my face). Half the time I complain that my partner is overheating the bed. In winter, it's alright but in summer...I might as well call myself bacon, I sizzle from his generated heat. :p :LOL:
  13. My ex used to crack it at me for this. Always loading up the bed with blankets and then latching onto me, and then cracking a sad at me when I explained that it was too hot and to go away back to her side.

I get cranky. Heat is ridiculous. You stick to yourself, you sweat, your eyeballs dehydrate. If my skin is not as blue as my eyes, its not cold enough. And don't even think about saying its OK because its a dry heat. A fire is a dry heat. Go stick your arse on that.
  14. :LOL: Great minds think alike!! I originally had this as the 5th poll option but I figured to many would vote for it so I removed it...

15. Regardless, the hot pillow thing is a problem since the rest of the body is covered.
  16. Your body needs to cool down a bit to be able to sleep. I find in winter if the heating is on too high I can't sleep, and I can't sleep in summer either unless the air conditioning is on. I also try to lay off the coffee at around 4 if I want to get a good nights sleep.
  17. Nice warm water bed :)
  18. I remember reading "somewhere" that if you're overly warm when sleeping you have worse dreams .......