Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Because the bike doesn't exist until...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by dcm, Mar 1, 2009.

1. ...there are pics

Here is my new toy - a 2008 GS500 with 200kms on the clock.

aVtrQW0.

gx1xFUli.

So, collecting it was an adventure. Despite the bike dealership being > 30km from my home and on the other side of the city, I took the best advice I could find on the forum, I planned to collect it during the middle of the day when the traffic was quiet.

First a train broke down. So instead of speeding to the dealership on rails of steel, I sat on Toowong Station platform and listened to a series of apologies instead of trains. After an hour or so, I took a train going in the wrong direction at the advice of the stationmaster in the hope of getting a different train from somewhere else that could go back the right way.

Instead of arriving at the dealership at 2pm, I arrive at 3:30pm.
    Secondly, it took 1,000 years to complete the paperwork. I’d allowed 30 minutes but didn’t realise I’d be in a queue.

Thirdly, they lost the key to the bike. Seriously.. You wouldn’t believe how many unmarked “Suzuki†keys there are laying around a Suzuki dealership but I saw them all. Eventually, the key was found hiding in a cupboard marked “keys†with a tag on it giving the registration plate of my bike.

Next, it wouldn’t idle. No biggie – stale fuel. The mechanic drains the cup of fuel out and puts in 5 litres of the good stuff. At least I now have enough fuel to get home without worrying about refuelling. The bike starts to idle but is slow so the mechanic fiddles with the idle speed and all is good.

So, finally, I have the keys, I’ve had the 10 cent tour of the bike and I even have 5 litres of petrol but instead of being the middle of the afternoon, it’s now 5:15pm on a weekday and I have a 30km trek across Brisbane, through the CBD and back out the other side to get home on a bike I’ve never ridden.

I spend 10 minutes doing laps of the service road learning not to stall the thing before I game enough to go through the lights onto the major arterial that the dealership is located on.

Actually, once I got into the traffic, it wasn’t as traumatic as I thought it was going to be. I certainly wasn’t too smooth on the clutch and brake but I left buckets of distance between me and anybody else and religiously reminded myself to switch off the bloody indicators after making turns.

A guy in a white van tried to kill me by turning in front of me but I was kind of expecting him to do it (I’ve ridden mountain bikes for years and am used to being ignored on the road) so I’d already backed off enough speed to let him complete his crime.

The only real problem was that after a few kilometres, the Suzy digested the last of its yuck fuel, got into the good stuff and remembered that its idle speed had been set to stratospheric levels by an embarrassed mechanic who wanted me gone quickly. The revs got steadily higher. By the time I was halfway through my journey, the bike was “idling†at 3500 rpm and people were starting to look at me strangely. There was no longer any risk of stalling, I didn’t really need to use the throttle at all, just change gears.

By 4,000 rpm things were intolerable and so I stopped the bike and spent a delightful 10 minutes trying to reduce the idle speed without getting third degree burns from the engine which was screaming at me. Eventually I succeeded and was again on my way. I crawled through bumper to bumper traffic in Ashgrove, worrying about the curious “hot engine†smell but eventually hit the Western Freeway and made it home in one piece.

It wasn’t quite the gentle pootle through light traffic that I’d planned but both the bike and me arrive home fine.

Anyway, I've had a few practice rides and the Suzy and I seem to be reaching an understanding. Thanks again to the group for all the advice.

don

2. Good to see you got it sorted ok, but what about the dealership pre-delivery checks? What in the world did they do (or not do in this case!). They know you're coming in to pickup a bike and they haven't even checked it or have the key ready?! I assume from the kms it was a demo?

Next time I think I'll get a naked - it beats taking the fairings off everytime you want to do something on the bike.

3. unfortunately, the dealer already had his money, so care factor went out the window :grin:

4. What dealer was it and where in Brisbane do you live mate?

5. not quite a gentle pootle :rofl:

6. Nice choice of ride there mate!

Seeing as you hit the Western Freeway to get home, you can't be far from me - I'm a Forest Lake dweller. If you want a hand with any maintenance, or just a ride in general, make sure you give me a shout!

Just wish I had a black one for myself... :LOL:

7. Classic. To think all the money that was spent inventing high tech automatic bikes :p

8. haha nice bike and congrats on a safe ride home!
    Out of curiosity, what did you have to fix?

9. I'd hazard a guess that it was a pretty simple adjustment of the idle screw. Unfortunately on the GS the screw is in exactly the right place to burn the crap out of your hand if you try to adjust it while the engine's hot.

Suzuki mechanics must be chosen based on their long skinny fingers. :LOL:

10. Congrats !!!!
    A humorous read too
    :LOL:

11. Go the beastie GS500 !

Nice bike dcm & well done !
    Hope you have many fun filled adventures on your new GS500 meanie :)

Safe riding,

Nickers

12. Good post... had a great little chuckle!

Congrats on the new bike.

13. and the engineers for their twisted sense of humor.

Curse you QLD for not having LAMs yet. I'd would have liked that bike as an option.

14. And THAT, dear sirs and madams, is why I got in and got my open licence before the changes to QLD licencing laws in June of last year... :p

15. Hehe me too.

Congrats on the new bike, and sounds like quite an adventure getting home.

16. Now you've had it a while is the screen effective? I'd like the unfaired version for ease of maintenance and wonder if a screen might make the freeway commute easier.

17. gogo cruise control!!! I could do that on the across with the choke on max :) good for streching your arms/back :LOL:

18. Excellent post, Don :grin:
    Well written and also tres amusements! :rofl:
    "Murphy's Law", don't ya just love it!

Congrats on the new bike, glad you both
    made it home without serious incident :)

19. Well, it's a bit difficult to tell as I don't have a base-line to compare it with. The last time I was riding a bike, it was a 250cc Yamaha on a farm where speeds rarely rose about 60 km/h.

I was on a couple of freeways yesterday going somewhere (so much for the 'sticking to back streets only' for the first few weeks) and I was noticing that the buffeting was really confined to my head. My chest did seem to be somewhat protected and I can only conclude that this would have to be the screen.

Cheers,

dcm