Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beating the god dam Heat?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ArrowSling, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Hi All,

This may be a dumb question and couldnt really find it amongst the other forums so forgive me if Im repeating something here but as a newbie riding in the last few months, was just wondering how more seasoned and experienced bikers deal with the heat?

I was on the back of my bike the other day and im proud to say that I have clocked up 5,000 kms in 5 months...for me thats amazing and im a 37 year old lady who as an ex jockey I think i must look like a 19 year old dude in his biker gear lol...anyway...Im loving it but as I sat there the weather was in the 30's so I know it's going to be hot anyway but as I looked on at other bikers I was wondering how do you guys handle the heat when you go out riding?

Do you guys buy something equipment to cool off or some type of clothing? Im just in my dry rider jacket, rider black jeans and boots..all black so doesnt help i know but im thinking safety

on the freeway its no big deal its just when your cruising or is it something you dont really get bothered by?

Thanks for the time in reading this question, much appreciated for any feedback from all types of riders..

2. I use mesh jacket, pants and gloves plus an evaporative cooling vest. Keeps you cool for 5-10 hours. Works while you are moving, but not in stop and go traffic. You can also get ice vests, but they are expensive and only last for a couple of hours.
  3. Hi ArrowSling. Depends what type DriRider jacket you have. Is it a vented type with vents at the rear to allow the air to flow in the front and out the back to help cool you? DriRider has a lot of different style jackets for all seasons.
  4. Hello, welcome etc.

1. Mesh jackets help a lot when you're moving as they let a huge amount of air to pass around you.

2. Vented and/or perforated jackets/trousers are also available which offer more protection but less air flow.

3. There are cold vests available that you dunk in water for a couple of minutes - they are supposed to keep you cool for a while (I've never tried them).

4. Most riders I know just try to keep moving.

5. If all else fails - pour water into your helmet and down your top. It helped me a lot when I rode from Sydney to Melbourne last year (one day ride with temps never getting below 44 degrees).

6. Some riders don't wear any bike gear when it gets really hot e.g. just a t shirt or shirt and shorts etc. The debate here revolves around whether it's better to avoid crashing due to dehydration than worry about how well you are protected when/if you crash.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. thanks heaps for that...really appreciate the feedback and comments...love it, cheers again:)
  6. Wombles point No 4 needs some expansion. When in stop start traffic try and stop where there is shade from a roadside tree, while still being careful about following traffic. Slow down but try not to stop when the traffic ahead of you stops.

Cooling vests help as well, you presoak these and the evaporative action pulls heat away from your body.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. thanks heaps for that...really appreciate the feedback and comments...love it, cheers again:)
  8. On Friday, I took off my tshirt and wet it down. Had to repeat the process a few times throughout the day. I also have a mesh summer jacket and perforated summer gloves which help. I wear leather pants with skins underneath, and don't really notice the heat there, although I suppose perforated leather would help.

I don't own a cooling vest, but I DID have a cooling bandanna I used to tie around my neck. It was filled with a gel that was supposed to stay wet for longer, but I didn't like it.
  9. You can also wet a t-shirt before you put it on under your jacket, the evaporative cooling also assists.
  10. Don't take any notice of GreydogGreydog, she's only half the girl she used to be! ;)
  11. camelback type water bladder. I've been using the one I have for bushwalking.
    Some already have straps so you can wear on your back & you can buy backpacks that have pockets & holes to fit the water bladder. A lifesaver on hot days :)

12. I also recommend carrying water that you can drink while on the move... Camelbak or the like. Can be chilled first.
    Helps to fight off the affects of the heat.
    Otherwise I find the dehydration and headache catch up with me too soon and ruin my ride
  13. If I know the day is going to be a scorcher I a) get up early and go for a morning ride or b) not bother :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Yesterday was a stinker in Sydernee as well! I had my own cooler system going coz I was sweating like an old pig had the jacket unzipped so the girls were flapping in the wind...so evaporative cooling did the trick.:smug:
    May sure you are hydrated- seriously- I have sometimes chucked a bottle of water into the freezer the night before a ride and just like when I was at school last century- wrap it in a nice little towel, chuck a washer (or flannel as some folks call them). Chuck it a ll in a back pack and stop REGULARLY to have a drink and then wipe your face and arms down with the washer.

Remember no wee wees ( or really dark) means you are not hydrated enough...sorry but it had to be said:troll:

I won't start on the black riding gear again but try and get a lighter coloured jacket- your blessed being small so you shouldn't have any issue finding something.

If you are super super hot please try and avoid the urge to go straight into or under really cold water- start with slightly warm water and work up to the cold stuff (you could suffer vasovagal syncope) .
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mesh jacket & camel bak type set up.... works for me.

or you could move to inland Australia were it is regularly 40+ (44*C here on Saturday) then riding in Melb/Syd will seem pretty cool....lol
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. dobbodobbo yes yes yes but it is the heat AND the humidity that is killing me off slowly so very slowly. It will be death by hair frizz and sweat...my hair looks like I have been tongue kissing the powerpoint (again!) and I sweat from places that they didn't teach me in anatomy:shifty:
  17. :woot: trying to picture that.....

Seriously, what has been posted here is a good start, other than do not ride in the middle of the day. I have heard from some that a wet neck band thingy (buy them at camping stores) really help, although I've never used one.

Hydrate often..... gatorade type drinks do help, i ride out western NSW a bit and usually drink one gatorade each day, along with around 8 litres of water... then at the end of the day a few deserving ales.

Please do be tempted to go with less gear on...... as bitumen can get damned hot, even just a little topple over.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Stop at each pub. Cold beer works wonders......8-|

Disclaimer: In jest, don't ride with a skinful of grog! But 1 cold beer is awesome!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. chillibuttonchillibutton you just have to rub it in don't you...:yuck: I could have leapt over the bar yesterday and just opened the beer tap straight down my throat...but them damn peeeees...zero for me until the 26th November 2015...not that I am counting or anything...:p

Sports drinks are a huge marketing gimmick- water is the best hydrator there is... (unless medical evidence for electrolytes etc etc blah blah blah)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. 25th September for me :(