Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beater bike to tour around australia?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Meyerhoff, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Would an mid oughts bmw r1200 thats already done 120 000 kms be a bad choice to take on a tour? I want to buy a bike for the tour and then sell it right afterwards and not lose too much money on it.. I know everyone says that bmws are bulletproof but I heard that more recent bmws are less reliable. And already having an r80 I know they can sometimes be complicated to do roadside work on.

2. I would use the R80. I have two older Goldwings with 200,000 km on them and ride long distances on them but I have owned they for a long time know that they are right to go. I am going to use the 1984 with over 200ks and do a trip around Australia in 2018.
  3. Bikes with high KMs are hard to move even at the right price, it will be a pain in the ass selling it even at a good price and losing money.

You'd probably be better off investing a few thousand more and getting a lower KM example as you'll get most of that investment back anyway.

Unless the bike is so cheap it's basically parts value I'd steer away from a high KM bike if the plan is easy resale.

If your on a budget a KLR650 or DR650 would be a decent tourer, in a very different league to the Beemer though!
  4. Beater bike?? image.