Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Beat up bike for Leaner

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Iondah, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Hi All, I'm a learner in Melbourne looking for my first bike. For some crazy reason, mainly budget I guess, I'm attracted to cheap unusual early model bikes, most of which need some work to make road worthy. (No I dont want a chook-chaser instead)

The dilema is that I don't know a lot about bikes or mechanics in general. However, I'm attracted to the challenge and I'm willing to learn - I just dont want it to end up costing me more than a working bike would.

I recently came across a Kawasaki BR250 <how do you post pics?> who a friend of a friend is selling. It's a 1985, done 28,000k. He's asking $1200 for it as is (I'd probably give $1,000). It's been sitting idle for about 18 months and no longer starts. The bike has no evidence of a crash and apart from sitting for a long time looks to have been well looked after.

Things that (I know) need recplacing are:

- Carburettor (~$100 from Motorbitz) / reason for it not starting so I'm told
    - Mirror
    - Kill switch
    - Horn switch and cable
    - clutch lever (damaged, not missing)
    - Indicator lense cover
    - Rear tyer

So I have questions:

- Is it worth getting a mechanical check to tell me how much it would cost to road-worthy? (Will a mech. be able to do this?) Does anyone know someone who could do this check and provide a pretty reliable estimate?

- Has any one had experience with this sort of project before? Good/bad experiences?

- If I decide to take the plunge, is there someone in the Glen Waverley area who would be willing to teach me a thing or two and fix this bike up? (Or even come to check it out with me)

- Does anyone know where I can get a checklist of what is needed for a road-worthy so I can check some more things myself?

I guess my feeling is that if I can get it really good and it gives me 18months reliable commuting to the city and ends up costing <$2,000 then I will have done alright. Any more than this and I might as well fork out the extra $1500 for something actually good.

Thoughs/Advice/Comments greatly appreciated.