Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Bearing noise...?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by DarkHorse, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

Got a weird noise happening from my front end, wondering if anyone could suggest a source and solution:

Bike is a 2000 model GSXR750 K1 with nearly 70,000km on it. I've only owned it for a couple of months, and it's just had a major service.

The noise is a faint creaking sound (ie if the engine is running you couldn't hear it) from the front end that ONLY happens:
    1) when the bars are turned between 50% right and full lock right
    2) when the bike is rolling backwards (at walking pace)

I only noticed it because I have to do a 10-point turn in my carport to face back up the very steep driveway each night. It happens wether the front brake is applied or not.

My first thought was steering head bearing, because of the specific positioning of the bars, but the noise only happens when the bike is rolling (turning bars on the spot makes no noise.) So wheel bearing? There doesn't seem to be any slop in the front wheel when pushed side to side. So maybe brake pads rubbing on one side?

Is this something I should be worried about - like a worn bearing - or not so much? Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,
    DH.

2. Nothing to worry about, unless you do a lot of riding backwards in small circles.

Seriously, its very hard to diagnose without hearing it but if you've checked the wheel bearings its probably a pad rubbing when the wheel is at the right lean angle. If the pads are not badly worn I'd guess its not important.