Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Be safe, be seen?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pt, Jan 29, 2005.

1. gday
    im a fairly new rider and im just wondering whether anyone has anything to say about wearing those day-glow vests on bikes. the ones that road workers etc wear. i ride in the city mostly(sydney) and have seen a few riders with them on. it seems like a good idea, but i feel that sometimes some cage drivers take it as an oportunity to target you. from my little experience it is obvious that drivers just dont look most of the time, but im not sure that wearing a bright red or yellow vest would make much difference. especially if it makes you a target for some smart arsed cage driver. any feedback is good feedback!

2. I wonder about night riding though.

I've got:

- a black helmet

- black Draggins

- a black & grey jacket

- black boots

I've been debating whether to pick up a reflective vest for night-time; it may not look cool but it's got to make me more visible.
  3. Get into the habbit of assuming that nobody's actually seen you and will pull out in front of, or merge into you.
  4. I know that mum always preferred to have me riding behind her when she was driving than my stepfather. I ride a red (noisy) bike, with all my gear having a large splash of red on them....my leather jacket has a red stripe across the chest, the DriRider is mostly red and my Dainese summer jacket is also mostly red. In contrast, my stepfather has a grey (noisy) bike with a black and grey helmet, grey and black leathers (cos he's one of those fair weather Ducati riders, he doesn't have any other gear!).

Part of the "being seen" thing is your position on the road, as well. I know I am always aware of making eye contact as often as possible and getting past people who either have no idea I'm there or are driving dangerously.

:D :D :D
  5. Yup... assume the traffic will do something stupid, and leave yourself as much reaction space and time as possible.

As for the reflective jacket, well there are roadside workers etc wearing them. It can't hurt but I wouldn't expect it to help much.

Also some motorcyclists will point and mutter (not me... people tend to think I'm pretty pointless).
  6. I have a vest with reflective strips on it as i travel at night everyday.

as others have said "think that no one has seen you" and it helps , but do every thing you can to be visable .

some people wont wear them as they think they are un-cool , well I couldnt give a rats toss if it looks un-cool .

I would rather be seen than be dead.
    Only 1 person needs to see it to make a differance.

I dont wear mine all the time , but I do wear it when its a really dark , over cast night or its a rainy poor viasable night .
    And if its a foggy morning .

safety before vanity
  7. I'm only new too to bike riding so i dunno what the corret answer is but I was wondering if the problem with being "seen" is not what the biker is wearing but rather that the car driver doesn't "look" or just doesn't "see" the rider. Does that make sense?

Like the bike rider could be wearing neon lights but the car driver is just "blind" to bikes??

I was wondering if the simple answer is that riders have to always compensate for the poor driving habits of car drivers.
  8. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head, most car drivers don't 'look'.

When they say 'I didn't see you' they mean I didn't look.

Lots of them don't scan the area around them, they look where they are going, at the radio, at the kids, at the cute girly in the mini etc etc.

So yes, I always assume that car drivers will exhibit poor driving skills.

Sure lots of times that's not the case, but that won't hurt me, the other way around will.
  9. bingo! we have a winner... groberts tell him what hes won.
  10. you are right to a point .
    I have been chopped many a time for sitting in blind spots etc
    It is the responsability of the rider to make sure he is visable as well as the goose in the car to look .
    By not sitting in blind spots , wearing bright clothing or vests all go a long way to you having a long motorcycling and pain free life .
    I ride with my light on high beam , a few times i have been asked why by cars at the lights , (annoyed drivers) , and i say " because people who drive cars say they cant see me , you did so it works "
  11. My jacket and boots have refective material/logos on them.....but yer otherwise its all dark gear for me as well.
  12. you have owon a bright yellow vest , one downfall they attract those yellow bloody taxi drivers thou. :LOL:
  13. Since I started riding I've become hyper-aware of bad driving, and pathetically grateful for good driving.

Example: I'm in the left lane of a busy 3-lane road, with several cars occupying the middle lane. One of them (ahead and to the right of me) is a Magna, driven by a woman. She wants to move left into my lane, indicates and DOES A HEAD-CHECK! She sees me and decides to stay right where she is.

This woman is a goddess! An angel fallen to earth! They should clone her!

Like I said, pathetic...
  14. My Dririder jacket has reflective beading, I have a couple of coloured flag patches on my shoulders, and I ride a white motorcycle. But I figure that at night my headlight and tailight make me pretty visible. In the dark that's all your gonna see.
  15. When I first started riding the guy at the shop said don't go all black... So I got red... I got a custom exhauset on my bike.. I see drivers look for where the bloody noise is coming from...LOL

But I think maybe having a reflector strip on you jacket would help for night time riding

Lisa :twisted:
  16. wearing a vest you can get a discount on your insurance hehe
  17. Yeah always have had helmets that have some white on them.
    Plus leathers and dri-rider have reflective bits.

Or maybe it's the bafflectomy that helps 8)