Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Be AFRAID, be very afraid

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Apr 10, 2006.

1. http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18762903%5E2862,00.html

Shoddy death traps
    Shelley Hodgson

Cops stunned by backyard patch-up
    DODGY backyard repairs and bizarre modifications are rendering thousands of Victorian cars unroadworthy and unsafe.

Police said they are amazed at the dangerous patch-up jobs and lack of maintenance on some cars on Victorian roads.

They issue about 10,000 unroadworthy notices every year.

In the past two years, the Victoria Police vehicle safety testing school has uncovered dozens of dodgy repair jobs and come across vehicles in such disrepair that they have become time bombs on wheels.

In the process they have discovered some vehicles so badly overloaded they were bursting at the seams.

Among some of the worst cases captured on camera are:

A MOTORIST who rigged up a makeshift heating system, running copper pipes around the floor inside his XF Falcon when the heater stopped working. The heating could not be turned off.

A STEERING wheel put on back-to-front because, the motorist said, it was more comfortable.

A MAN who had second-hand tyres piled in the back of his ute to sell. When pulled over, police found the tyres on his ute were bald.

A MOTORIST who had tied his engine into his Camira after the engine mounts broke. "It was not sitting in the right position any more. It had fallen over but was still working," Sen-Constable John Camm said.

A VAN that had rusted out on the driver's side floor so badly the driver could see the road.

A SECURITY-conscious motorist whose car was fitted with a chain and padlock securing the front and rear doors.

A BULLDOG clip fitted on a seatbelt to stop it retracting.

A ROPE rigged inside a car anchoring the door to the passenger seat.

PANTYHOSE placed over tail lights to make them look darker.

A CAR quickly bolted together after a respray and put back on the road with no door handles, no door locks, no number plates, no bumper bars, no grill and no indicators. The headlights were not bolted on and the battery was ready to fall out at any moment.

AN EXPENSIVE Mustang with its motor sitting just 50mm from the ground, half the regulation 100mm ground clearance.

A HOTTED-UP Skyline that had its bumper bar taken off because it kept scraping on the asphalt.

ALLOY wheels that had new holes drilled through them to fit a different stud pattern.

A HOUSE demolisher who had filled his ute to overflowing with a load bound for the tip. Among the load was an asbestos flue and old gas bottle. "He had the whole thing loaded on like the Beverly Hillbillies," Sen-Constable Camm said.

A VAN that was so overloaded with fruit and vegetables the driver could not see out the back or passenger side.

Sen-Constable Camm said an insecure load could attract a fine of $141, while an unsafe vehicle could cost the owner $173, on top of any roadworthy tests and VicRoads check police might order.

"A lot of people don't want to spend money, a Band-Aid will fix it," he said.

Sen-Constable Camm warned motorists to check first before modifying to their vehicle.

VicRoads has a list of allowable modifications, such as tinted windows, roof racks and tow bars.

But anything not on the list requires permission.
  2. was on today tonight tonight
  3. This doesnt surprise me at all
  4. Scary stuff :shock: When is the Govt going to wake up and introduce yearly roadworthys?
  5. hahaha! my 1984 holden gemini had that optional extra! it was a sweet view, watching the road fly by underneath you. i wish i'd kept that car everyone loved it :(
  6. Many moons ago I worked in a bomb car yard in Alice Springs. A bloke came in one day to try and trade an old Valiant ute. He slapped the old girl on the tray to show how much he loved it and the petrol tank fell out.
    Then again, when I was very young I had an EH wagon that would shoot water up the back of your leg if you drove it through a puddle.
  7. Until Victoria falls in line with other states and introduces yearly rego inspections instead of handing out renewals like easter eggs, this will continue.

When I lived in the Yarra Valley in the 80s there were cars that were rusted wrecks that hadn't had a spanner on them for 15 years or more, being used to drive children to school, and down to Lilydale shopping. One man I talked to was proud of the fact that "We're not like NSW", while you could see straight through to the windscreen wiper motor because the metal between the bottom of the windscreen and the trailing edge of the bonnet was completely rusted away. I used to pray even harder than normal when I had to travel the roads.....
  8. Not all the other states - up here in the sunshine we don't have them. We're smart instead, I believe. Or so the pollies tell me.
  9. What about my old favourite........ a milk crate as the drivers seat. :grin:
  10. Actually, the milk crate reminds me of another one - a couple of years back in the small country town we live near, a well known local with a very dodgy ute spent a couple of months driving around with a plastic 20 litre detergent drum on the passenger side floor and a hose leading through the firewall. His petrol tank was holed, so he "fixed" it.
    Don't think he was a smoker!
  11. So, how much of the road toll is caused directly by roadworthiness problems that would be fixed by annual inspections?

Is it much safer to drive in NSW?

Do you really want to be taking time off work every year to pay some grease monkey to find a crack in your indicator lens and make you buy new windscreen wiper rubbers?

If vehicle with serious safety issues are mowing down innocent victims, maybe we need weekly or daily inspections!

Hmmm! not a bad idea. Maybe to get a licence, drivers should have to take a test that shows they are competent to test the roadworthiness of their vehicle.
  12. At least it will get all those pesky motorcycles off the road with loud exhausts and being held together with duct tape & cable ties. Remember people it works both ways and they'd bring it in on cars, trucks & bikes.
  13. In Tas you don't even need a roadworthy to sell a vehicle, just fill out and sign the "transfer" pert of the rego papers, hand over teh stamp duty and it's all done!

Only roadworthy is when it's unregistered in Tas, ie imported from the north island, or rego lapsed.

Now if you want to see some real bombs on the road.........

Just heard that LAM's WONT be introduced in Tas, instead they'll stick with the 250cc limit, but will allow exemptions based on the NSW LAM's bike list. So what does that solve???

14. Mike this is the argument that always comes up when this subject is raised, but at least I have some confidence that the bloke behind me has brakes that work if every year he has to prove that they do.....
  15. a friend of ours did this... only we had to lash the container to the roof to get enough gravity feed into the carby...

Mind you it was only for the trip to the wreckes to get the spare part we needed. lucky the wrecker is a mate of ours too!
  16. Yeah my friends RX7 exhaust was being held up by cable ties was obly yhe stock exhaust but god that made me laugh. I've been pretty lucky in my car. But when i get pulled over or go though a booze bus i have to turn my car off being so loud.

Yeah i knew someone that used a crate as a seat in his once when he took his seat out to fix then got called into work.
  17. Yearly roadwworthys..... NO WAY......that mean new windscreen every year! what a crock maybe if your car is over 20 years old, it would be ridiculous!
  18. So the fact that his brakes were tested some time in the last 12 months inspires confidence?

How many NSW drivers put off important maintenance items such as tyres until the annual inspection is due?

How long does it take brakes to go from "working" to "not working"? would annual inspections prevent this from happening?

Is there any evidence that there are many vehicles out there with non-functioning brakes?

Have a look at the ACT review of vehicle inspection regimes.

Some extracts:
    "The paper considered the costs associated with a number of vehicle inspection models and noted that a return to periodic inspections would significantly increase the cost to the community with no demonstrable additional road safety benefit. "

"As noted in the discussion paper, there is a range of research available about vehicle inspections. The “Fosser” study in Norway that compared crash involvement of randomly selected vehicles which had been subject to three different inspection regimes over a four year period could find no discernible differences in the crash involvement of the vehicles. Most recently within Australia, the Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into the Victorian vehicle roadworthiness system found insufficient evidence to support a recommendation to introduce periodic inspections in that State. Previously, similar investigations in South Australia and Queensland reached the same conclusions."
  19. Hornet I hate to burst your bubble but that is silly, I am a qualified motor mechanic and had my own workshop, was a licenced vehicle inspector in NT and NSW,
    A set of brakes can be worn out from new within a week depending on the driver,a set of tyres in 1 burnout,

there is shite you can put in your engines to stop them smoking for a copla days(rego time).I have seen people swap seatbelts with their mates to get cars thru rego,found blocks of wood in spring towers to lift cars above the legal hight limit only to be removed when they leave the w/shop.(not mine)

it is up to the government to hold more ramdom inspections.weather you have yearly inspections or not. just because it is inspected in a 12 month period doesnt mean that it is safe.
  20. So aren't you the bloke who was run into from behind by a guy in a van with brakes that obviously passed an annual roadworthy :wink:

The VACC is always bringing this subject up but you have to remember that the VACC represents mechanics and engineers who would be profiting from an annual inspection being brought in so you have to take their comments with a bucket (as opposed to a grain) of salt.

The Police trump out the really bad cases each year and then quote the unroadworthy statistics in the same breath to make it look worse than it really is, remember a chip in the windscreen or a simple blown tail light globe renders a vehicle unroadworthy and this bumps up the stats signifigantly :roll:

You cant stop idiots from doing stupid mods to vehicles and those sort of people will find a way around the roadworthy system pretty quickly as you can already. How many of us laughed at the ABC program "Bush Mechanics" which focused on the exploits of a group of aboriginals using various methods to keep their cars on the road (track) but when we see people who do this on suburban street we seem to take it more seriously for some reason.

I can see the reasons for and against annual inspections but looking at the NSW experience I see just as many bombs driving around country towns as I do here in Victoria. The Police need to blitz schools & shopping centre car parks as it's usually the 2nd car in the family that suffers a lack of maintainence.

I can confidently say I've kept all my vehicles roadworthy over the years (regular dealer servicing helps) but it's usually things like tyres which sneak up on me but I quickly get them replaced as with the way I drive I need all the help I can get :LOL: