Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery weirdness - HELP

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tirian, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Hi all,

A while ago I left my key in the ignition (locked garage) with the lights on overnight and battery = flat.

Put it on a charger in the evening of the same day, rode it from the following day.

Since then the bike has been a little sluggish to start but generally speaking ok.

However the last few days, I have found that I can start the bike in the morning OK and ride into work (about 45 mins) but after work, it NEVER starts. I am having to push start it each night to get home. (Big thanks to the Geelong supporter last week who boosted me down the path if you are reading!)

Time to replace the battery? I left it on the charger again overnight the other night but it made no difference.

2. You havn't mentioned how old the current battery you have is, it may have been on it's way out, and you have killed it off when you left the lights on.
    Replace it, for peace of mind....
  3. Sounds like it, Grange, doesn't it? Older batteries develop sulphated plates. This can be accelerated by flattening the battery and recharging it. It doesn't help either if its low on electrolyte.
  4. Some new Gel type batteries dislike going flat and will suffer and degrade sharply.
    My replacement battery went flat after 6 months and would not hold charge, it was replaced under warranty for a "honeycomb" battery which is brilliant.
  5. If you are just using an old charger it may not be doing a good job, Newer chargers have a Boost Charge Rate, or some such similar thing, which will recover some batteries that have been damage by a full discharge. I think the boost voltage is 16 Volts, instead of a normal 14.7 volts for charging, and of course the charge rate is managed, so as not to over charge or over heat the battery.
  6. Thanks guys.

I guess the battery is about 6 yrs old. I have a new charger with the boost mode, but the boost mode doesnt engage. I put the multimetre on and it was running at 14.6 volts.

I think what I am reading is get a new battery - a "honeycomb" one I guess. It is a GS500 - should I go to Suzuki or somewhere else?

PS. Thanks heaps for the help.
  7. At 6 years of age the battery is well past it's use by date.
  8. My bike did this - turned out it was the Stator.. Got it fixed and theres been no problem since.