Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

battery troubles

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jtw008, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Hey guys,
    my battery has gone dead to the point where it wont even charge. It wasnt real good to start with, but i was just wondering if there was any way to make sure its charging properly when i get it replaced, to make sure i dont screw the new battery too.. thanks

2. Edit: First fill battery to low level and let sit for an hour. Tap it to release H2 bubbles. Now fill to high level and let sit for a bit. Tap again.

When you fill a new battery with acid, it will read 12.6V. DO NOT install it as is, but give it a charge overnight.

With the charger on battery, it will read 13.6V the next morning, and when you unplug it, it will drop quickly to 13.2V, then slowly to about 13V. If your battery still reads 12.6V, the charger hasn't done it's job (I should have known this earlier >_<).

Now you can install it and get moving. Don't forget to connect the overflow tube! Or the acid will corrode your frame/battery holder. Or drip onto your suspension and eat your swingarm.

New battery should read between 12.6 - 13.0 V when off and up to around 14V when revving the engine.