Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Battery tender use

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Darmac, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hi all.

When charging the bike battery using a battery tender/float type charger should i still open the little screw top lids on the battery as you would when charging a car battery or is this not nessesary.

2. Generally motorcycle batteries are sealed now days so you can't open them. They have adequate venting. Maintenance/float chargers do not push the battery to the point where it gasses, gassing occurs during a heavy charge.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lovely... thanks. I have a Yuasa battery with the little lids and was using a 12v car battery charger to top it up. I had the lids open and was monitoring it regularly as not to over charge it but i did notice some acid spitting outside the case. I'll get myself a maintenance charger soon as the car battery charger is too powerful i think.
  4. With most bike batteries the suggested charge rate is under an amp, they will 'rapid charge' if extra current is available and the battery is low but it can reduce battery life to do so. A regulated multi-stage low amperage charger is the preferred option.
    • Agree Agree x 2